[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Sealing off my tank hood?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Sealing off my tank hood?

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Sealing off my tank hood?

Postby Cortrell » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:44 pm

I've had an African Butterflyfish almost as long as I've had my tank (almost 10 months now). In that amount of time he has managed to jump out 5 different times. It always happens right after I turn off the lights to go to bed so luckily I'm around when he does it. I'm afraid he may do it after I fall asleep and I won't hear that thud that jolts me up.
I've tried different methods of covering the holes but nothing seems to fit right. For one, one of the holes sits above the bubbler, so it needs to be something that can get wet and not mold or put something bad in my tank. I've tried covering it up with a cloth before but it collected water, got moldy, and dripped nasty water back in my tank.

So here's what I need:
A way to cover one hole about 4cm by 3cm (this is the one above bubbler)
A way to seat space around where the filter goes. (there's only about 2cm of room all around the filter but he finds his way out)

Thanks in advance for any help
Cortrell

Re: Sealing off my tank hood?

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:47 am

You might consider cutting your own lids from plexi glass or perspex.
Also you might want to do something about your lighting. A lot of fish get jumpy or panicky from a sudden light going on or off and just the sound some of the light switches themselves make is enough to get some sensitive fish to jump. Sometimes a timer helps with the noisy switch issues.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Have you tried perspex or plastic?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DominicJ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:18 am

In the short term, to stop your fish killing itself, a plate might work.
DominicJ

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Another option for you is cut up a pair of tights and silicon it in the lid, they are cheap, easily replaced and you can pull and shape as big or small as piece as you need to cover the hole.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Big Den » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Tinfoil, form it to close all gaps.
Big Den

Postby Anita » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Floating plants make a lot of fish more secure and stop them jumping.
Another small/not very bright light is another option. You could set it on an timer to come on 15 minutes before your tank lights, stay on for half an hour and then switch off... then the same after the tank lights go off.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:31 am

Thats why I like my blue LED's, the fish are never in total darkness

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Kempinski » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:36 am

Do you leave your Blue LED's on all night Mick?
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby Mick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:35 am

Yup, they kick in 30 mins before the main lights turn off

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Return to DIY Projects