[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Planning A DIY Aquarium
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Planning A DIY Aquarium

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Planning A DIY Aquarium

Postby davyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 am

I'm just starting to plan to build a custom aquarium, I'll have to do a fair bit of planning, and bracing most likely, though it will be a long process, though I've got all the books to plan for glass thickness etc.
Basically I'll do some sketches and post them, but for now I'll give a general description of whats in my mind.

It will be basically a corner tank, with a higher section in the back with a plastic grate at the top on the sides where the water flows down the sides of the top section kind of like a gentle waterfall adding more flow.

The filter(s) will have two or three outlets one or two on the bottom and one smaller one on the top with all the filtered water flowing into the top area, and overflowing into the bottom.

I will have to design a set of custom hoods etc.

The top area will be able to have fish that are more aggressive separate but yet in the same tank.

I know it'll take a lot of planning etc, however if I can manage to get it designed, I would also be able to market it (a possibility).
davyboy

Re: Planning A DIY Aquarium

Postby Mick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 am

It will be interesting to see this one develop

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby weirdartist » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:02 pm

they had an interesting tank set up you might be interested in hearing about at my lfs.

the tank was huge, about half full of water with a shelf a little higher than the water level full of tropical plants. It looked stunning and added some interesting ideas, especially if space is no object!

Terry
weirdartist

Postby davyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:23 pm

This tank is going to be designed for being somewhat of a corner unit, not sure if I'm going to do it with the 90 degree in the corner and then two 45 degrees coming to join it as a triangle, or as a square, or set of two rectangles, imagine:
_ _ _
|_ |
|_|
or something similar, It sort of depends on space etc when I move to our bigger place and the shape of where it will eventually go.

The biggest problem is going to be transportation as (say for arguments sake I will use 10mm glass (may or may not will have to do calculations when I know weights and safety factors)). That being said, say it was the two rectangle style, and each section was 2 feet long, the glass alone would weigh 241 pounds (sides and bottom). This doesn't even include the cube that sits about a foot higher than the normal glass. This means that for moving it will not fit through the typical homes doorway, weighing well over 200 pounds, it'll most likely have to be disassembled and re-siliconed at that point in time. Which means poor fish don't have a home for a while (though I'll probably end up getting a spare 30 and a spare 10 gallon tank to temporarily house them in when I move).
davyboy

Return to DIY Projects