[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Veggie jelly
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Veggie jelly

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Veggie jelly

Postby ragawaga » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm

This "project" started out of concern for the shells of my snails. I was looking a way of ensuring they had enough calcium for their shells not to dissolve in my soft acidic water. Most searches suggested coral sand or limestone, but I didn't want to change the look of my tank so was more focused on something in their diet. Then I came a recipe using standard veg, healthfood calcium pills and gelatin.

So I broke up 2 calcium pills and placed them in a little water (just filled a shot glass with water :beer: ) and left that for a bit to dissolve and soften.
For my first try I just got an asda smart price bag of frozen veg containing broccoli, carrots, peas and cauliflower. I also added a single raw prawn for a wee bit of protein.
I blended this up with a hand blender and enough water to make it more like a paste.
I then dissolved a sachet of Dr Oetker gelatin with half a pint of boiling water then mixed it with the veg paste.
I halved the mixture into cleaned takeaway plastic tubs then put both in the fridge.

Although they set, I wasn't happy that it had set enough.....so I reheated the mixture (put it into a glass jug then into a pot of water boiling on the hob). I dissolved one further gelatin sachet into one of the containers....and two into the other as a test. I've only put them back into the fridge, so it'll probably be tomorrow that I get the results. I'll be sure to update this post.
ragawaga

Re: Veggie jelly

Postby malakye » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Looking forward to hearing more about your veggie jelly, you should have taken pictures too.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ragawaga » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah, I'll make a more detailed picture post for my next batch. I wanted to make sure I'd got trial and error part out of the way first ;)

Both batches have now set...the one with 2 sachets has turned out the best. I've put a small part of each into the tank hoping that it doesn't mess up. With the lights having been out for a few hours, the fish should be docile enough to give the snails a chance to chow down :)
ragawaga

Postby Mick » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 am

Good thread, I'm sure that mix would also benefit some herbivorous fish (with less calcium of course :-): )

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby ragawaga » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:32 am

Yeah. I had a wee look with a torch and the RCS seemed to be enjoying it :)
ragawaga

Postby ragawaga » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Today was the first time I've put it in during the day. I hadn't put any other food in the tank, so it seemed to pique the interest of the zebra danios and to a lesser extent the rummynoses too.

Here is a .
ragawaga

Postby malakye » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Those danios definately seem to like that.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to DIY Projects