[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Tank Sealant...
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Tank Sealant...

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Tank Sealant...

Postby jmurray01 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:48 pm

How often should I empty my 3 foot fish tank and top up the sealant, if at all ?

I know I should really move with the times and buy one of those "curvy" tanks that are all in one piece, but I'm too tight fisted, and besides, I like my older tank!!
jmurray01

Re: Tank Sealant...

Postby Jack Middleton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:14 pm

How old is the tank? Has it ever been stored without water for long periods of time?

Silicone should last a good 10-20 years before it needs replacing.
Jack Middleton

Postby Mick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:53 pm

TBH thats one task I have never had to perform, never had a leaky tank -touchwood :-):

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby jmurray01 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 pm

jmurray01

Postby malakye » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Personally I stick by the old saying...............If it aint broke, don't fix it. More so when it comes to fish tanks. I have old tanks that have held great for years despite being dry for months on end but one of my newer ones was only just over the year old when it started leaking so age really cant be a guarantee either.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 am

In theory, silicon should last over 50 years and i know loads of tanks over 30 years old that are still going strong. It is irrelevant whether the tank has been stored wet or dry.

Any tank should always be leek tested prior to the final fill up.
andy

Postby Big Den » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 am

I have a 6x2x2 in my home office that has been sitting there for over 15 years, before that it was at my previous address for 12 years, before that it was in a pub for 9 years, never any sign of leaks or deterioration in the silicon.
Big Den

Postby Jack Middleton » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 am

Does exposure to extreme weather conditions not weaken or shorten the life of the silicone somewhat?
Jack Middleton

Return to DIY Projects