[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Stand advice
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Stand advice

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Stand advice

Postby Katfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:32 am

Hi all

I have just purchased a 6ft fish tank.

I have a 5ft solid oak sideboard which I would like to use to mount the tank on, I know that it will over hang by 6" each end which would be a problem.

What I need to know is what thickness of wood would I need to put on top of my 5ft sideboard to take a 6ft fish tank.

Thank you in advance
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Re: Stand advice

Postby Big Den » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 am

You should be okay with that overhang, lay a 18mm piece of plywood on top and a 25mm piece of polystyrene on top of that. Make sure the cabinet is level and does not rock from side to side, can you post a picture of the cabinet?
Big Den

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:29 pm

as Den said if you can post a picture it would give him a better view, try to get pictures of the inside too so we can see what supports it has or may need added to it.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katfish » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I will get a pic up asap (How do I upload a pic)?
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am

To upload a picture, go to 'reply' click 'full editor' scroll to the bottom you will see 'upload attachment' click this and it should take you to the picture file on your computer.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 am

This post will give you help using photobucket.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=422
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katfish » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Finally got the pics sorted.

The wood beams running down and across are 25mm Solid wood The top is also 25mm solid wood
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 pm

If you haven't got room for the tele send it to my house :)

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Katfish » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:08 pm

I have room for the TV lol

Anyway will it be upto the job of a 6ft tank with 18mm ply ontop to extend it 6" each side?
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:29 am

I reckon that will be good, looks like a very sturdy cupboard, don't forget the polystyrene, you can always edge the front with a strip of wood to cover it.
Big Den

Next

Return to DIY Projects