Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

DIY fish tank divider?

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

DIY fish tank divider?

Postby Getthejist » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:56 pm

can anyone tell me how to make a DIY divider which is reasonabley robust and lets a reasonable flow of water through
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Re: DIY fish tank divider?

Postby malakye » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Do you want it to be a permanent fixture or just as a temp measure? If permanent you can drill loads of holes through perspex and them silicon (use aquarium safe silicon) it into place, if temporary then you can buy dividers online which come with clips to hold the divider in place.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 am

What species are you dealing with and what size are they?
What size tank? (in inches please)

I use this material which is plastic and is intended for use in drop ceilings.
It comes in 2'X4' pieces and the openings are 5/8" squares. which means you're limited when you cut it to fit to increments of 5/8 of an inch. Which is fine depending on how big the fish are. Mine are fairly large so they can't get around it.

The tricky part is figuring a secure way to attach it. In the tank in the picture it's kept from moving along the bottom in one direction by that giant piece of Mopani wood and on the other half I used a piece/strip of slate that runs the width of that half of the tank so that keeps it from moving/swinging at the bottom and at the top I used wire ties to hold it to the center support of the frame of the tank. It cuts really easy, I use a pair of electric wire cutters (dykes).

When I had one in my 55G tank I made a simple two piece vertical PVC pipe frame for it. I cut a groove down the length of each pipe on a table saw then drilled holes on the opposite side of the pipe. The holes were so I could stick suction cups into them and attach them to the glass that way. The divider was just sandwiched between the two pipes by slipping it into the grooves/slots I had cut. But again this leaves a gap between the PVC and the glass so a thin fish could potentially pass through it.

POS_miniracer

Postby Big Den » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 am

This is what I have used in the past, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FILTER-GRID-E ... 2688wt_698
Cut it to the nearest square for your tank width and hold it in position with suckers.
Big Den

Postby Anita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Good info there Den :thu:
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Return to DIY Projects