[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Got me thinking about how much weight.
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Got me thinking about how much weight.

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Got me thinking about how much weight.

Postby Katfish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 pm

I was going to just setup my tank on my ground floor (wooden joists) as i forgot to take into account rock sump etc.

This is the break down
Main tank 765 kg
sump 160kg
Glass weight of them both I would say is around 300kg
The tank will have around 150kg of rock wood etc but that would equate to around 60kg I guess due to replacing water
The cabinet being soiled wood weighs 80kg

So going on this I have a setup that will weight in excess of 1365kg bearing down on wood joints

The aquarium will be running across the joints I would say it has 4-5 joints under it and is butted up to a load bearing and another wall unsure this is load bearing as it is an internal wall.

The house was built 16 years ago

so I will be looking at 113kg per square foot

Am I pushing my luck ?

If so what can I do now the tank is in it spot with no chance of moving it.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Re: Got me thinking about how much weight.

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:28 am

Is that with the water?

To be honest I'd be a bit worried about that even if it already included the water weight.
That's about 3000 pounds or roughly equivalent to the weight of the car I drive.

If it were me I'd be looking into ways to beef up the structure from underneath. I'm not an engineer so I can't advise on exactly what would be needed but typically it involves cross bracing with vertical support to some sort of footing.
POS_miniracer

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 am

That does seem like quite a lot of weight. I think one way of spreading the weight over a bigger area is with the stand if the bottom of it is spread over a larger area but i'm not sure about that. One thing you could do is get an structural engineer to come in and take a look at your floor and tell you whether or not your floor could hold it and maybe he/she could find a way of improving the strength of the joists with extra reinforcement that is if he/she can get to your joists. I doubt this was much help but I'm not good at this because everyone says my floor wont hold 65kg per square foot and im not sure on whether im right or not but this was the best i could do hope it helped
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Katfish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:34 am

Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:17 am

That's the basic premise. Typically you'd have one or more beams going the opposite direction of the floor joists with vertical support to carry the weight. But if your home is over a dirt or sand crawl space like mine is the vertical supports have to be over something solid called a footing otherwise the vertical support just sinks into the earth anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by slabs but If you plan to just lay some 2x12's on their sides to rest your jack stands on them what typically happens is the 2x12's just warp and sink at a slower pace but would still eventually sink. Their real strength is only found when they're vertical the same at they are when used as a joist. Also you want to be sure to use a moisture barrier between the wood and earth otherwise they'll soak up moisture and rot.

Now if you mean a slab as in a concrete slab (like we call them in the U.S.) then that really doesn't work either. First a slab of concrete will tend to either crack or crumble under the weight or do what we call heave and could actually move up.

Here's an example similar to the type of footing I refer to.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021180044.pdf
POS_miniracer

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 am

You are more than 6* over the building regulation for Force over area (pressure) which is 1.5KN/m2

I'd be pretty concerned.
Last edited by Jack Middleton on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Middleton

Postby Katfish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 am

Right so i best get something done.

This is my options

2" thick 2x2 slabs with axle stands on them or 9" concrete blocks with axle stands or a 10"x8" oak railway sleepers with axle stands on them.

The problem I have is the tank is now in position and now no way to move it as wife jumped the gun and had new flooring laid so i am going to try and get to the joists from another part of the room via the craw space that's if I can fit my chunky boby under there.

Or is there anything else I could use ?
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 pm

This is a method I have used in the past.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Den

Postby Katfish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Cool so if I was to replace the up bits with axel stands that should work then as doubt I will have enough room under the floor to get in drills etc to bolt anything.

But I could I guess bang some wood in between the joints to stop twisting aswell
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Even if you just used packing (strips of timber) instead of the bolted upstands, it will be okay.
Big Den

Next

Return to DIY Projects