[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Going to make my own top up system
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Going to make my own top up system

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

Going to make my own top up system

Postby Katfish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:47 pm

I came across a video the other day on how to make a home made top up system as I was looking around and the best price I could find one already made was around £40 second hand I was looking to only spend around £10.

The other thing I did not want was 230v home made system which was all i was getting and then I came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTYxVr8l ... re=related

Now after a few mins going though the web I came across the parts needed

Pump
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CTE60Y

Level Sensor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Liquid-Wa ... 3a6845f16f

So far it has cost me under £10

It might not look as great as a £40 one but it will still do the same job and it will be hidden anyway

Hopefully this might be of some use to others.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Re: Going to make my own top up system

Postby Big Den » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm

As I do a 20% water change every week my tanks never have the need to be 'topped up' . One thing I would like to do is have the water changes done automatically. I have seen some folks using this system but the old water has to run to a drain and there has to be a constant supply of fresh water. I think you would have to use RO water with a top up system because you will be replacing water that has evaporated.
Big Den

Postby Katfish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Instead of ro water could I just use something like aquasafe mixed with the water in the top up bottle
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Like Den said when you get into the good habit of doing 20% water changes weekly you dont need to actually top up in between.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katfish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 pm

I was just thinking as My tank is going to be open top and metal halides thought I would get more evaporation due to being open top and the heat from the halides.
Katfish
Donator
Donator

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 pm

My tank has a lid and it has a huge amount of evapouration
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Big Den » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:33 am

When water evaporates it leaves behind all the minerals etc, so if you top up with anything other than pure water they will increase, if you see what I mean. As you know the best way to reduce the nitrate content is to change part of the water. Most tap water contains a certain amount of ammonia and nitrate so really water changes are a must. If you are serious about this you can purchase RO water from most aquatic shops.
Big Den

Postby POS_miniracer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Evaporation is generally a bigger issue with smaller tanks.
I find myself topping off my 5 and 20 gallon tanks at least once a week between water changes.
I do it to basically cut down on noise. My small tanks have hang on filters and I like to keep the water level just below the exit on the filter. It cuts down on that trickling sound and also keeps a nice constant ripple on the surface of the water.
POS_miniracer

Postby Mick » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:58 pm

now that I run a coldwater set up the evaporation has decreased rapidly, even more so now my lighting unit has packed up :-):
I used to top up about 1-2 gallons inbetween the weekly water changes.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Getthejist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:15 pm

i top up about a gallon inbetween my waterchanges which is quite a lot considering the size of my tank
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Next

Return to DIY Projects