[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - My DIY Project...
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My DIY Project...

Fancy telling us about ways you have saved money by doing it yourself or want advice on a future project.

My DIY Project...

Postby MaxHayhurst » Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 am

I decided to build my own tank about 2 years ago... and never got round to it...
but about a month ago i decided to build it...

So i will basically post a running commentary of me building the tank.

So i started with the simple glass cost me £100 with a tube of silicone chucked in...

FishTank #1.jpg

I then found the only place flat enough to build my tank, the kitchen work surface. much to the disappointment of the family...

FishTank #2.jpg

Once it was dried it was time to water test... and well as soon as i filled it it started leaking...one small leek in the far right corner

FishTank #3.jpg

So i Re-siliconed it and tried again this time i got more than 3 inches in though... :lolflag managed to fill to the top but found two more gaps... grrrr conveniently placed behind the blue post-it notes...

FishTank #4.jpg

So 3rd time lucky and all i tried again and got it right... so i filled it to the top and it held...

FishTank #5.jpg

well until i realized the front and back panes were bowing about 6mm...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaxHayhurst

Re: My DIY Project...

Postby malakye » Mon May 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Great write up and its good to see someone building their own tank.
Because of the height you will need some sort of bracing to stop it bowing.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon May 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Lots of people consider building their own tank. It's great to see someone actually doing it!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby MaxHayhurst » Fri May 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks guys for the encouragement...

The next step for me was to buy and install the braces (i went for a euro brace style)

FishTank #6.jpg

Then waited for it to dry, flipped the tank did the other side.

FishTank #7.jpg

Then i cut and siliconed the metal trim. (basically to cover up the many mistakes i made)

FishTank #8.jpg
FishTank #9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaxHayhurst

Postby Graeme » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:37 am

Looking good Max

Have you got some water in it now?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby MaxHayhurst » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:44 am

haha no lol... im gnna sort out the stand tomorrow... and fill it with water...

how much foam would you recommend under a tank this size? its 212 Lt
MaxHayhurst

Postby malakye » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Looking good Max.
I usually just use a roll of polystyrene I buy from Homebase (its the stuff used for lining walls less than a fiver a roll) and lay down three layers of it. I did the same for my 5x2x2ft tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superdart » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:07 am

Great write up and I think that you have braced it spot on as if you think you may need extra support you can always put a 4" centre brace from front to back later on.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby MaxHayhurst » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Yea now ive done it it looks great on the stand

FishTank #10.jpg

except ive now found that there is a tiny leek somewhere, silly me i know to put on the metal trim with out checking really...

but im gnna take off all the inside silicone and redo it properly...

it will take ages but will be worth it when its done!
MaxHayhurst

Postby Graeme » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Looks great. Did you make the stand too?

You might want to move it to the left away from the window or you will be forever battling against algae!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Next

Return to DIY Projects