[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Looking to go filter free.
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Looking to go filter free.

These poor little critters often get forgotten about.

Looking to go filter free.

Postby Daboo84 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi,
I have a 45 litre/10g tank with 7 cherry shrimp and 3 zebra snails.

The tank has been set up for a while, planted for about a 6 weeks and shrimp for about 3. The tank was already cycled before the shrimp went in.

The filter I am using is a stingray 15, originally for the Red comet I originally started with (they are now in a pond)

The water flow was too strong so I added some tights to avoid any shrimp fry getting sucked in and reduce flow etc.
The filter is now making silly noises as I presume it is struggling with the flow.

I've been looking up filtered tanks and seems to be a mixed bag.

I would presume with frequent water change it would be fine because of the low bio load but wanted to seek any advice first plz!!
Daboo84

Re: Looking to go filter free.

Postby Graeme » Thu May 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Hello Daboo84 and welcome to the forum.

Your setup would have a very low bioload but rather than turn off the filter I would try and find out what's making the noise, fix it and put some fish in.

Can you put the filter media in some tank water, strip down the filter, clean it and put it all back together again. See if that fixes it.

Have you tried changing your tights? :jump: :lolflag

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Anita » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Wed May 25, 2016 7:14 pm

I would invest in either a smaller filter or air driven sponge filter simply because shrimp will soon die if ammonia builds up. Yes with your bio load being low it would be fine as long as its planted and aerated but better safe than sorry.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Snails, Invertebrates and Amphibians