[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - My tanks.
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My tanks.

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

My tanks.

Postby malakye » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:54 pm

I thought I would start with how I got bitten by the fish keeping bug.

When I was 15 I had to undergo surgery which left me housebound for the best part of 6 months. Being raised on a farm I was used to being out and about and if not away with friends I was hands on with animals, being housebound was driving me to distraction so my mum and dad bought me a 3 ft tank and that was the start of it. In those days I had guppies, neons, swordtails, platies, a solitary catfish and a plec. It wasn't long before I wanted to learn more and keep different fish so used to get my folks or sisters to get as many books for me as they could.
I became hooked and when I left home and got my own house I used the spare room as a fish room. I had several tanks back then. I kept everything over the years from goldfish, black moors, fantails and other coldwater fish, to livebearers having tanks full of loads of different colours, breeds etc. I had several gourami tanks, several sharks, Angelfish and several community tanks. I was loosing interest in fish somewhat after a while and had moved onto snakes, lizards and tarantulas. I eventually gave up fish for the reptiles.
I got back to keeping fish at the age of 25 when I had an empty 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank (sold up my snakes when I discovered I was pregnant I kept giant snakes and them and babies don't mix) I kept that purely as a community tank. Since then I have had several tank with countless different fish.
I now have my community tank which is 48" x 15" x 18", it is home to community fish from rainbow threadfins, platies, mollies, neons, swordtails, cory cats, frogs, shrimp (cherry and amano) clown killifish, bristlenose plecs and butterfly plecs.
My other tank is a 2ft tank. It's currently home to my son's betta and a group of male platy who will be going to my friends tank soon and there are 2 baby bristlenose plecs in there too.
I do have another tank which is currently empty but my sons betta will be moving in there shortly and I will be claiming my small tank back for either my shrimp or a breeder tank for my gourami and threadfin again.

So that's a basic run down of how I got started up until now. Here's some pictures for you.

malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My tanks.

Postby Mick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 am

Great tanks, a credit to you

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Nec » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Great pics. I like the frog. I have never kept them myself so I have an off the wall question that might amuse you..

Are those frogs noisy?
Nec

Postby malakye » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Not so off the wall as you might think. They have been known to sing when looking for a mate.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks for posting this, we all joined the hobby through different ways and its nice to hear about them.
Nice photos btw ! Thanks again :)
NightwishRaven999

Postby Nec » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Nec

Postby malakye » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Nah you would be fine, they are not loud, unless you are actually listening for them, you don't really hear them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby malakye » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 pm

My tanks been through a few changes recently, I took the warship out but didn't like the way the plants were going so stripped back the tank and replaced the ship so heres some more recent pictures.
I changed my backing picture but still not happy with that, but it will have to stay where it is for a while.

malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Ok so my tank is going through another round of change. The plants especially the vallis had gone mad in there so I stripped it back, gave some away and replanted. The warship is still in, I keep threatening to take it out but it provides a whole range of hiding spaces for the shrimp so its staying for another little while at least. I have not bought any fish in such a long time, have lost a good few to old age and got rid of the platies and other livebearers so the tanks looking decidedly empty but its where I can now restock and go a different direction if something takes my eye. I am still debating setting up another 2ft tank to accomodate the shrimp if I decide to go with slightly bigger fish. (Not the tank busters Den has as much as I love his fish lol).

malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Candise, the tank looks superb.
I love the row of Vallisneria in the back, it looks so cool against that background.
The fish look healthy as usual and the tank looks really clean.

Anxious to see what you decide to get for this tank : )
NightwishRaven999

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals