[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Konstargirl tank/tanks blog
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Konstargirl tank/tanks blog

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Konstargirl tank/tanks blog

Postby konstargirl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 pm

2/19/10

Hi everyone, this is my first post in tis section of the forum so yeah. I have a 10 gallon tank and a 1 gallon quaritine "tuberware" tank. Yeah I had a 1 gallon that I use for Gary and when I used to have my very first batch of fry before they die. So I keep you guys updated here on the 10 gallon instead of posting different topics about the 10 gallon every week.. also I'm sick too so I stay at home today and I mostly rest. Now I have a small stomachache..

Now the first thing I want to talk about is.... People saying false things about fish. Now recently, my friend Jefery and I were talking about hat kind of pets do we have. I mention that I have fish and a snail. He asked how long did you have your fish? I told him that I had hyper and tiger( The male platy and the female Juli cory) since August, Gary since December and the two females since January of this year.. He and two other boys said that, "Oh fish aren't really reliable pets because they are too hard to care of." Inside I was mad. Back at December, my older sister said, "Oh fish dye too easy and are decoration." I was really mad. Hali, a graduated at my high school I currently go to said that, "Fish are delicate pets..." I wasn't really that made beecause there are fish that are delicate( like discus) and some are hardy9 like platies. hehe...). I wished tat people will do more research on how to take care of a aquarium insitead of making flase accusations about them..
[color="#A0522D"]^[/color]
konstargirl

Re: Konstargirl tank/tanks blog

Postby NightwishRaven999 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Olivia...I can understand a bit where you are coming from.
People in school were often puzzled by my interest in fish.
To most people, fish are simplistic, boring creatures meant to be kept in bowls.

Your friends at school are right in a way though.
I have several other pets...lizards, guinea pigs, degus...even though degus are delicate and harder to keep than other small animals, they shows signs and behave differently when ill.
Fish are often much more subtle. Signs of illness will often go by unnoticed to the casual fish keeper.
Many people who have a fish tank, dont really care to learn about their fish and simply replace their losses without thinking.

Fish are delicate creatures...even after years of experience in the hobby, you can lose fish and never find out why. On the other hand, I would not say fish are unreliable...
Your friends no doubt say this because they have tried keeping fish in a small tank or bowl and failed to keep the fish(es) alive for more than a few days.

To many, the concept of cycling a tank to create bacterial life is foreign.
Others want to keep little fish, but dont want to have any cleaning to do...which is ridiculous since owning a fish tank means having to clean it out regularly.

Candise and I have talked about this not so long ago.
Fish are sadly viewed as lower lifeforms. Kids at school and even many adults, cannot phatom how complex and interesting fish are.

I am surrounded by people who do not appreciate fish like we do...so I understand where you are coming from. At the same time, you cant let this anger you. Dumb remark are to be expected...people are ignorant, this will never change : )

Next time you see your friends, bring the subject back up and tell them "fish are reliable pets if you know how to care for them. Fish are not just boring creatures that swim in water....they are much more complex and intelligent."
NightwishRaven999

Postby Graeme » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 am

It doesn't matter what they say, because they don't have any experience of looking after fish properly so they are not competent to make a judgement!

We all know that you are though. So we're all looking forward to your next post in your new blog! :-):
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby konstargirl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:19 am

^Lol. Thanks. :)

@Jordan: A girl at my school said the same thing which is true. Thanks for the compliment though. I'll keep updated it..
konstargirl

Postby konstargirl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 pm

3/5/10

Hello everyone! Well I got some good news. The 1 1/2 month old baby is slowly starting to have its features of its mom, Sandy. I try to take a pictures of the baby but it end up too blurry. So I need your help. How would I take a clear shot of fry that size. And tommorow the 5 other babies will be 3 weeks old and starting to get as big as the 1 1/2 month old platy fry. The last batch of fry that I had when Princess was around all died. I'm so happy I can sucessfully raise platy fry now. :3

I guess this is a common strain of platy or something. I'm still curoius of what kind of platy hyper is though...
konstargirl

Postby konstargirl » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 pm

3/27/10

Guess what. I called one of the local pet stores yesterday and asked if they take fry. They said yes! I don't know if they would by them for me or what. So I'm taking all of the fry except survivor to the pet store. I'm going to call them tommorow to see if they are gonig to pay me or something. I don't know...

So today I took the fry to the pet store today and they were happy to see me with fry. lol They asked me all kinds of questions like what size tank you have. I told them I have a 10 gallon tank with platies( 1 male and 2 females.), a juli cory and an apple snail. They told me that "they will make a lot of babies so if you got more on the way, drop by and we will be happy to take care of them." The lady also told me that they will take them to the basement of there store and I guess raise them there until they are old enough to be sell for. I said great. =D So I might go back again and give more fry to them and probably make a commison with them like for everytime I give you 10 or 15 fry, you have to give me a free item. lol
konstargirl

Postby Graeme » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 am

That's good news!

I find that it's best to get things straight from the beginning, so when you take the next batch in, make sure you ask if they could give you something for them.

If they don't, well you had lots of fun watching your fish have babies and watching them grow and that's the most important thing.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Mick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm

you should get some credit at least towards the cost of food etc.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Keep in mind they only pay pennies for fry Olivia so don't expect to get much in return sadly.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby konstargirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Okay this is a little odd that I'm posting this topic, but oh well. Yesterday I found a earthworm on the floor and I took it home to feed to the platies as a little snack because earthworms come out in the rainy seasons or whatever. So I was chopping up the earthworm into small pieces and once I put it in the water and it was alive too, all three platies including the biggest fry were attacking it like a pack of wolves killing and attacking the pray. lol They ate part of it because I guess the worm was too chewing for them to finished... The cory was looking at them like whats gonig on over here. XD

Has anyone experience something like this???

@Mick: I know right? Maybe a free item or something. This new fry I'm currently raising are about 2 weeks old I think.
konstargirl

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals