[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - My large scale fish tank shuffle
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My large scale fish tank shuffle

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

My large scale fish tank shuffle

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm

I’ve been a little quiet lately on the forum but have been really busy with my tanks. Over the last 15 months or so I’ve managed to accumulate a fairly large number of tanks and variety of fish. (too many really) Until now most have been housed according to size temperament and diet but now that many of the juveniles I’ve collected are both outgrowing their tanks and their tank mates I figured it was time to start getting them sorted out properly.

The first step was to prepare the new 75 Gallon tank to be set up. I tend to run redundant filters on all my tanks usually in the combination of a Fluval canister filter and an Aqua Clear hang on filter. So what I decided to use for this tank was the Fluval 405 that was running on my 38G Jack Dempsey tank replacing it with the Fluval 305 that was on my 35G Firemouth tank leaving just the Auqua Clear on it since that’s all it had for a year anyway and should do just fine. (This tank also has a small Fluval internal filter as well)

I also decided that since this shuffle was going to involve moving fish from nearly every tank I have; I’ve been for about two months now rotating all the filters from tank to tank along with a small percentage of water taken from one tank and putting it into the others when doing my regular water changes. I did this in an effort to somehow “match” the water chemistry from tank to tank so as to make acclimation that much less traumatic on those being moved. I also tend to use the same substrate in all my tanks so at about the same time I started rotating filters I also started adding substrate to each of my tanks so that all the substrate that would eventually end up in the 75G tank would come from existing tanks as well.

Once I cleared out the last possible place in the house to squeeze in another tank I set her up. The set up was fairly easy since all the pieces were already in place on other tanks and ready to go. I started with substrate and water siphoned from the other tanks. This took about two weeks and during that time I borrowed both the small Fluval internal filter from the 35G and a sponge equipped power head type filter from the 56G just to keep the water moving as I filled it. After it was about 2/3rds. full I topped it off with treated tap water and removed the two smaller filters placing them back in their original tanks and replacing them with the Fluval 405 taken from the 38G tank replacing it with the 305 from the 35G tank. About the only thing I didn’t have laying around in inventory was enough decorations and hide outs so I robbed a few from the other tanks and added some new one’s.

The next step was to start moving the fish from tank to tank. I started by removing all the smaller African cichlids from the 56G tank leaving behind only SA/CA cichlids, 2 pleco’s and a Spotted Raphael. Those were moved in one large group into the newly set up 75G. At the same time several fish (SA/CA cichlids) were removed from one of my 20G tanks and placed into the 56G tank replacing the Africans that were removed. I also moved some SA/CA cichlids from my 40G to be placed in the 56G as well. I then took down my 5G placing it’s contents into the now nearly empty 20G.

Several days of watching the Africans settle in and monitoring of the water chemistry I decided it was safe to move the next group of slightly larger Africans from the 40G into the new 75G. This put all but 4 of my African cichlids into the 75G and left me with a nearly empty 40G tank.

This leaves me with the 20G set up just the way I intended for at least a couple of months until the 4 very small Tropheus Moorii (originally in the 5G) I’ve been raising grow out large enough to be moved to one of the larger tanks. It also leaves the 56G set up all SA/CA cichlids with the exception of the pleco’s and catfish.

I also moved the large common Pleco from the 55G in my bedroom into the 90G Jaguar tank.

So that’s pretty much the end of Phase 1 of the shuffle.

Phase 2 will be to take down the 40G which now houses only the female mate to my male Firemouth which is in the 35G I robbed the filter from and a single Salvini. Once I swap the 40G tank itself for a 55G I have (currently unused) I plan to remove the female Firemouth and place it in with the male and move the Salvini into the 55G in my bedroom which is now where the last of my 4 adult Africans live with some adult SA/CA cichlids. The plan is to move all the non Malawi cichlids from both the new 75G and the old 55G into the 55G that is replacing the 40G. This will leave me with a 75G all Malawi set up and a 55G all non Malawi set up. This will also leave the old 55G with all SA/CA cichlids to which will be added the sole Salvini from the now replaced 40G and I may just add the largest of the Texans from the 56G also. I’m also considering adding the male Jack Dempsey from the 38G leaving the “Black Widow” J.D. on her own (which should end the constant spawning).

In the meantime I will be seeding more substrate and Fluval FX5 on the current tanks in preparation for the 3rd Phase which will be to set up the 95G Wave tank which will be all adult SA/CA cichlids.

So that’s what I’ve been working on when not training the new puppy.

I will be adding photo’s and video’s along the way and updating on further changes. Since there are a lot of tanks involved and countless fish I’ve made these sort of “before and after” lists that may help those who wish to follow along.

Before:
5 Gallon:
4 Tropheus Moorii

20 Gallon:
All juveniles
4 Keyhole Cichlids
4 Rot Keil Severums
1 Chocolate
2 Convicts
? Firemouth’s
1 Sailfin Pleco
1 Striped Raphael

35 Gallon Hex:
1 Adult Male Firemouth
5 Juvenile Firemouth’s

38 Gallon:
Pair of Jack Dempsey’s

40 Gallon:
1 Adult Female Firemouth
1 Salvini
3 adult female Convicts
? Firemouth Juveniles
7 Asst. African Cichlid juveniles
1 Rhino Pleco
1 Clown Pleco

55 Gallon in Bedroom:
1 Adult male Firemouth
1 Adult Female Jewel
1 Adult male Jack Dempsey
1 Adult male Convict
1 Young adult male Pink Convict
4 Adult African Cichlids
1 Common Pleco

56 Gallon:
All Juveniles
? Firemouth Juveniles
3 Texas
3 Jaguar
3 Jack Dempsey
12 Asst. African
1 Sailfin Plec
1 Rhino Plec
1 Rubber Lipped Plec
1 Spotted Raphael

75 Gallon:
Empty

90 Gallon:
2 Adult male Jaguars

95 Gallon Wave
Empty

After:
5 Gallon:
Removed:
4 Tropheus Moorii to 20G
Now Empty

20 Gallon:
Kept:
Sailfin Pleco
4 Keyhole Cichlids
1 Striped Raphael
Added:
4 Tropheus Moori

35 Gallon:
Kept:
5 Juvenile Firemouths
1 Adult Male Firemouth
Added:
1 Adult Female Firemouth from 40G
But then had to move her into the 56G

38 Gallon:
Kept as is for now

40 Gallon:
Converted to 55 Gallon:
Kept:
Rhino & Clown Plecs
Added:
1 Adult male Firemouth
1 Adult Female Jewel
1 Adult male Jack Dempsey
1 Adult male Convict
1 Adult male Pink Convict
1 Previously housed/moved Salvini
From the 56G:
All Juvenile
3 Texas
3 Jaguar
3 Jack Dempsey
1 Male Convict

55 Gallon in Bedroom:
Kept:
4 Adult Africans

56 Gallon:
Kept:
1 Sailfin Plec
1 Rhino Plec
1 Rubber Lipped Plec
1 Spotted Raphael
Added:
4 Rot Keil Severums from 20G
2 Convicts from 20G
Later removed the Male & put into converted 40G/55G
1 Chocolate Cichlid from 20G
3 female Convicts from 40G

75 Gallon:
All Juvenile African Cichlids from the old 40G and the 56G

90 Gallon:
Added:
The Common Pleco from the 55G but lost it 2 weeks later
Kept:
2 Adult Jaguars

95G Wave:
Will eventually house all the adult SA/CA cichlids from the 55G
POS_miniracer

Re: My large scale fish tank shuffle

Postby Graeme » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:57 pm

That's an impressive list Tom. Looks like a full time job to me!

The 55 gallon adult male Cichlid tank will be interesting. Will the two JDs get on ok?

Looking forward to watching the the story unfold.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:10 am

Well there’s no guarantee’s in fish keeping, especially when it comes to aggression and cichlids. But at one time way back when, all my adult JD’s lived together in one tank and “Jack” the male from the 38G lived in that 55G with “Bluebeard” the other male JD for several months so I’m hoping things will go well. It was actually two of them pairing up and spawning while they were all together that prompted me to split them up in the first place. Without any females around to fight over I’m hoping they’ll ignore each other. I think the J.D.‘s get a bad rap anyway sometimes. About the only time I’ve seen mine fight is each other before and after spawning. I’d say it’s the Texas cichlids that you have to keep an eye on. They get very bold early in life (at least mine have) and they are relentless when they make their minds up. The Convicts are tough as nails also. Mine aren’t likely to start trouble and don’t seem capable of inflicting the same damage that a J.D. or similar can but they have incredible stamina when it comes to not backing down or defending their territory when spawning. Mine spawned in that 55G and basically owned half the tank.

I’ve been watching them all very closely since the first move and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to tweak my plan as I go. The next thing I’m going to do is convert the 40G to a 55G but I’m not going to split the Africans first. I think I’m going to move the 3 Texas into it with the Salvini and move the female fire mouth in with her mate. In the end I’m only planning on keeping one each of the 3 Texas and Jaguar juveniles anyway and so far I’ve figured out who my keeper is among the Texas but I need another month or two before the others will be large enough to trade in for as much as I originally paid for them. The 3 Jags are another story. I’m hoping to find a female in the bunch and maybe get lucky with one of my adult males someday. I’ve already started running the FX5 on another tank so it won’t be long before I could start setting up the 95G Wave tank but I’ve been trying to sell it to buy a 120 or 180 which is what my 2 adult Jags really need and would leave me with an already up and running 90G to move all the other SA/CA into for a while.

Here's a video from today. About half way through & then again at the end you'll see a Texas in the upper left corner that's larger and has more color contrast than the other's and he's my trouble maker. Excuse the soundrack it was recorded with Judge Judy in the background so I went with the random audio swap.

POS_miniracer

Postby Mick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:30 am

Sounds like a lot of work, will be interesting to see the vids.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:58 pm

I picked up some more decorations yesterday. I found this nice rock with a pair of pass through holes in it. Also this hollow log that at first was a floater but after a few hours on the stove simmering in water started to sink. I wish I could find more of these so I could replace the two resin logs in there. I also bought this ceramic cave (you can see it's reflection in the last photo). I know it looks like a hodge podge of junk in there but the reality is there are a ton of hiding places which is really what they like.

Found this tonight.
Turns out one of my Convict juveniles is a boy. Can you still call them juveniles if it’s going to be a daddy? Don’t even ask who the mother is ;) They’ve been together all of three days. And I think it’s got some of the others thinking.
Here’s a clip.

POS_miniracer

Postby sparky » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 am

nice fish.

sparky

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks Sparky. I've been following your build, nice work.
POS_miniracer

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue May 04, 2010 9:21 pm

I kicked off the next phase of the tank sort out and swapped out the 40G for the 55G. I also did a little work to the “stand”. I hesitate to call it a stand but I suppose that’s what it is now. Back in 1975 it was the bottom half to my mother’s new china hutch or buffet. It may also be the earliest example of particle board & fake wood veneer/laminate furniture still in use today. I honestly have no real good reason why I’ve dragged it around all these years even after leaving the top half behind somewhere probably a decade ago, except to say it looks on the surface to be about a year old so I could never bring myself to throw it away. The surface is roughly 48”x18” and the front is split by two full doors so it opens wide up and has a shallow shelf along the perimeter of the interior. But on the legs was just a little tall for my tastes so I went with the slightly short for my tastes option of removing the legs and there it was, a near perfect stand. Finally after nearly 20 years of dragging this thing around it has something useful on it.

What I did was pump the whole thing into a recycled plastic 55G drum. I picked up 3 of these drums months ago for $20.00. They originally held the syrup used in fountain pop, probably from a large festival or fair of some type. The others are being used for an R/O set up I’m working on. Then I just moved the substrate, pumped it all back in, topped it off and fired it all up. I think it took just slightly longer for the tank to settle and clear than it did to make the swap. Once cleared I added the only 3 original inhabitants that remained, a female Firemouth, a Rhino plec and a Clown plec. I’m still working out who stays and who goes where so I haven’t actually moved any fish around just yet.

I also found my common plec stuck to the intake on a h.o.t. filter on my 90G. It’s stuffed with floss and is intended to polish the water and agitate the surface. Well with just the Jaguars in there it didn’t concern me that it had no basket or screen on the intake but this poor plec was stuck like he was making out with a vacuum cleaner. He seems okay now but had a pretty fat lip yesterday. And I noticed something interesting the 56G. Although I haven’t reached in and lifted the coconut shell to be sure I’m almost certain that my male Convict had another female on eggs before the first female’s hatched. The first set appears to have hatched since but I haven’t been able to locate the wrigglers yet. Other than that I’ve just noticed that everyone’s colors are popping and several of them seem to have hit growth spurts which is promising.
POS_miniracer

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu May 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I’ve gone ahead and started stocking the converted 55G with some of the SA/CA cichlids from the 56G. I’ve moved the three Texas & Jaguars, the J.D.’s (with the exception of one that was missed) and the young male Convict. I plan to leave them alone until at least the weekend and then I’ll add the adults: (m) Firemouth, (m) Jack Dempsey, (?) Jewel, (m) Convict, (?) Salvini and a little guy that I’m honestly not 100% sure of the species. I thought he was a (m) Pink Convict but now I’m not so sure. I’ll also be removing my (f) Firemouth and placing her in with her mate in the 35G Hex. This should take care of all the SA/CA until they out grow the tank again.

In the meantime the Convict fry in the 56G have been spotted and my earlier suspicions about the other female being on eggs were proven false. I’ve also noticed in the last couple of days that 3 of my 4 Rot Keil Severums are now displaying more adult like coloration as is another of the Texas and Jaguars in the other tank. The other good news is that all of the Africans in the 75G are getting along together just fine and once the shuffle with the SA/CA is finished I’ll be able to split the Africans even further.

On a sadder note I lost that common plec that was found stuck on the filter intake in the 90G.
POS_miniracer

Postby Graeme » Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 am

Good to hear that the Africans are getting on ok and I bet it's interesting to see the colours develop on the Severums. Hope the babies are ok, you'll have to go out and get another tank for them!

Shame about the Plec but at least he died with a smile on his face!

This is a great thread to follow! Will the wave tank feature in the next episode?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals