[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - 1st Tank since '72
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

1st Tank since '72

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

1st Tank since '72

Postby Swaledale » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:36 am

Well here is my first tank since 1972, it's a 60X30X30 or 24X12X12 in English money.
I have followed Candise's instructions and have been adding Ammonia for 2+ weeks
now and have got the water part down to 5-10ppm so will be looking for some ammonia
based life forms this weekend, perhaps a bit of tiddlering in the out flows at Sellafield
will produce some interesting and disturbing little creatures.
Seriously though team I rather fancied some dwarf cichlids, German blue rams and yellow labs
perhaps? What would you experts suggest, I appreciate that this cichlid lark is full of pitfalls
not the least of which will be the pitifully small tank. Or is it to be 10 guppies and 5 cardinals
and then get to the shops for a proper tank!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swaledale

Re: 1st Tank since '72

Postby Big Den » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:39 am

Tank looks very natural but the plant looks a bit dubious. You might want to put a plain backing on it, or paint the back so that it obscures the cables etc. German Blue Rams are not the easiest fish to keep and are not recommended for beginners, plus they are a very expensive fish to lose. 'Yellow labs' are from a different part of the world, Africa, and need completely different water conditions, hard and alkaline as opposed to the rams, South America, that like their water very soft and acidic.
Big Den

Postby Mick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:49 am

What about some Bolivian Rams, they are hardier than the Blue Rams and a bit more peaceful

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Swaledale » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks for the input chaps my other thought was kribs but hey!
Given my situation what would you choose to put together?
Big den....yes that plant is very dubious its syntho!!! or were you refering to it's style and location? If I stick to Candise's regime plus the ammonia product I am using (Bio Mature) then plants are off the menu 'till we are all cycled.
Yes I will put a black or similar mask to the rear.
I just found this on the old tinterweb...............wow! Can we have one Dad....Dad.....can we......Dad?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swaledale

Postby Big Den » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:36 pm

If you are going with Malawi's, then plants are not really necessary, but with a 60 litre tank you are a bit restricted. A pair of Kribs will do well in there, or as Mick said the Bolivian rams.
Big Den

Postby Swaledale » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Listening to both of you is making me wonder if I would be better of going back to '72 when I kept Killie's. In a tank the size I have there is a lot better chance
of making a go of it. The reason most don't go with killie's is they are put off by a somewhat insular killi society (a tad anal). If you don't want to breed and are happy to keep it to one male of each then it is achievable as long as you use the same studiousness that you obviously need with Cichlids. They are a lot smaller too which gives one a fighting chance in a 24" tank.
Now then chaps and chapesses what do you think......how are you on killie's?
I am verry grateful for all your input to date...seriously thanks!!
Swaledale

Postby Big Den » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:32 am

I know absolutely nothing about Killies but would be very interested in finding out. The nearest I have is some Norman's Lampeye's. Often see eggs for sale on ebay, thought about giving it a go but always change my mind. You will have to educate me, please. :-):
Big Den

Postby malakye » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm

I had clown killiefish for a while and thought they were stunning little fish. I am debating getting more for in the 2ft tank I have running which is home to a pair of bristlenose, as they have stopped breeding since being moved. I hope the other fish will spur on the BNs again but will not cause a threat to the fry.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swaledale » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:33 am

Went to the North East Yorks section of the BKA show today ....brilliant! wonderfully friendly and helpfull................now have a look at my new chums!
Bought two pairs and was given two more to help get me going..... beet that then!
Early doors yet but hey! bit late for more info so update at a more civilized time.
Swaledale

Postby Big Den » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Lovely looking fish, sounds like you had a good result.
Big Den

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals