Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

1st Tank since '72

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: 1st Tank since '72

Postby malakye » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Great little fish, looking forward to hearing more about them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swaledale » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:12 am

We walked in to the community centre in Wigginton, York expecting...well I'm not sure what we were expecting, anyway the fact that The North East Yorks section of the BKA is a tight community was soon born out when, as we approached the BKA display table a voice behind us called out 'Hi your new...are you members?' After confessing our newness and lack of experience we were directed to one of their 'experts'... a larger than life character called Pete...a clasic steriotypical Yorkshire bloke who calls a spade a spade....you know where I am going with this! You really could not be made to feel more welcome. Having been put right on a number of points we decided we would buy some fish under the guidence of the secretary who gave us the nod at the auction when we should bid. So within minutes we had bought our first fish, a pair of, aphyosemion striatum. We were sat next to the secretary Helen and her husband Ian, after the first auction had finished Ian lent across and handed us a bag of fish "these didn't sell so you can have them to get you started" a pair of Blue Gularis!!! then another bag of Aplocheilus lineatus turned up as a gift from another member!!!!! we then moved to the second auction after the prize giving and bought a pair of chocolate Lyretails. Four members insisted on giving their details so we would have someone to call if we got into difficulties.
hey whats not to like..........what a thouroughly delightfull set of people. If any of the forum live within stiking distance of York then it all happens again in September!!
I'll take more pics when I am not working so hard..............its 3 now and I am on again at nine...............spit!
Swaledale

Postby Big Den » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:24 am

Sounds like you had a brilliant day.
Big Den

Postby Mel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:04 am

I like your tank, its very nice and natural looking.
Mel

Postby Swaledale » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:51 am

Blimy these little sods can jump, the lid access panel was slid back last night by 50mm to alow a pipe in for a 24% change.......... like you do.
I am looking down to adjust my bucket and there on the floor is the female Aploch, well I got her straight back in but she is failing fast,
What a disaster! The female Chocy lyre tail did the same thing mid week but she recovered and is fighting fit. I really can't believe they can hit a window of oportunity that small and not be seen doing it either!
Thanks for those kind words Mel......got a new plant on Wednesday and they all love it!
The yellow chap is the male Aplocheilus lineatus aka Striped Panchax 'Golden Wonder' and it is his missus wot is very poorly.
And the top pic is indeed her, sadly she can't keep upright and speeds off in uncontroled spurts, I assume the swim bladder is damaged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swaledale

Previous

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals