[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - here's my new tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

here's my new tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

here's my new tank

Postby deetheman_6 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:35 am

hi guy and gals i've got my new tank and i guess i'll give the run down so far.
once gettiing fluval roma 125 moved to it's new home upstairs in my son room ( 2 hours of catching fish, removeing live plants, water, rocks and gravel and keeping the filter running in a bucket of tank water i was ready to put it all back together so gravel the same water that came out all the plants rocks and bogwood then then filter then an hour later after the tank had settled down the fish went in .that was saturday afternoon gone ps i have been water tests and everything looking good. pps son not happy that he cant get his fish in there lol
sunday morning opened the box of my new tank which is a Fluval Roma 240 dimeions are lengh 122 cm long width 41 cm depth 55cm
(1) I wiped down the inside of the tank to make sure it was clean i attached the inlet and out let pipes to inside of the tank and tighten them up nicely. and put the backing on
(2) Washed 29 kg dorset gravel the size 2mm-5mm three times ( with a little help from the ever so understanding wife). and placed it in the tank
(3) unpacked my new external filter fluval 305 and washed all the media and sponges oh and replaced one trays of media from the 205 now upstairs .and connected it to the nozzles at bottom of the tank and secured with jubilee clips so that the inlet and outlet pipes did'nt pop off under the water pressure.
(4) Then finally started to add the water at this point i did'nt know the hose had been shorten by erm about 6 foot so it had to be done by hand (joyfull i here you say) so about 210 trip backward and forward to the kitchen the tank was fill (glad was over lol) turned on the filter and off it went
(5) then finally i add the 20kg of textured slate then turned my sighted to connecting the lights to the hood ( 2x 42" t8 bulbs and it's starting to look like a fish tank. then i went down the lfs and got £40 worth bogwood and thats soaking int the tank there i'll collect it in the next couple of weeks when i get another 20kg slate ps i'll put some live plants in very soon tape safe has been put in as too water cycle now i leaveing it alone well apart from adding another day worth of water cycle tomorrow then i'll leave it till the weekend .
I'll let you guys know how it's going as and when i now.
here's a pic for you.
Last edited by deetheman_6 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
deetheman_6

Re: here's my new tank

Postby Graeme » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 am

Looking good Dee. Did the background come already fitted?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 pm

If you squeeze some of the gunk out of the established filter into the new filter it will really help speed up the cycle process of the new filter.

Graeme re-read Number 1 of what Deetheman did hun lol. He has it there that he attached the background.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deetheman_6 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 am

yeah cheers malakye i'm replaceing one set of sponges this weekend in the established filter which is a fluval 205 and i'll put them in the new filter (which is fluval 305) so hopefully i can get my fish out of his tank into my new tank by the end of the summer holiday but i wont hold my breath lol .
my son has already chosen 12 fish out of his two smaller tanks to go in to my old tank like 6 dwarf neon rainbow and his breeding pair of green dwarf gourami's and his much loved flash pleco and as many of his black kalhi loaches as he can find and catch oh and his 2 peppered corydoras which are his first fish he ever got lol know i said 12 but as everone know catching kalhi loaches are hard to catch at the best of time even for us adults let alone 11 year old lol.
i'm going to do my first water test also this weekend i'll let u know the results . And also might get my bogwood in
deetheman_6

Postby deetheman_6 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 pm

thank god it's friday lol cant believe i had to go upto my sons bedroom this evening just to watch my fish . i know work should'nt wind me up so much. but anyway
I'll take some more pics of my new tank tomorrow after i've picked up my soaking bogwood from the lfs and i think i better buy some more textured slate cos the six piece's (20kg) i have dont seem to do much as a feature and i'll have a look a plants ps i dont really know if i should be putting live one's this soon into the new tank (1 week) in to the cycle please advise me i know i should know this .
i'll do the first water test too and give you the results
deetheman_6

Postby Mick » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:15 am

Keep posting the results when you get them :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:54 pm

You can add your life plants into the tank during the cycle it will not really bother them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deetheman_6 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm

hi folks well i'e picked up the bogwood but as yet still not in the tank i gave it a good scrubing and left it soaking some more i also got some more textured slate and i'll sort it out shortly
i did a water test and well it's not ready lol
ammonia 0 nitrite 0.8 nitrate 10 .
swappped two sponges from my mature 205 filter and also a tray of bio orbs so i guess all i can do is wait now . i'll do another test probably tuesday.
still undecided what plants to put in amazon sword is a favorite of my bristle nose's and my chubby pleco (cos of the broad leafs
vallis is great grows really nicely and qiucky untill i cut it back and then dies off or gets eaten bn's
combodia as above grows great until i cut it back
i'm just wondering if it somthing that i'm doing wrong or do other people have the same problem .it does'nt bother the missus me buying fish but every four months buy £30 on plants and before poeple say you need to feed them too i use jbl ferropol lol
i'll give the plants another go in this new tank but if it dont work well rocks and bogwood for me as i cant go back to plastic plants again. so by all means advice greatly taken on whats going on with the plants . ps was looking into (c02 system forplants)
deetheman_6

Postby deetheman_6 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 pm

hi folks have done a wee bit more on the new setup
firstly i've added some more bacteria in the form of these jelly balls somthing pure i'll do another test this weekend .
I to have added more slate and i decided to put the bogwood in the tank.
Here's some more pics.
full front
front left
middle
front right
left side
right side

i'm very happy with the layout but not truely happy with the rock by inlet and outlet pipes but until i get all the plants in i wont change it until then.
So the only thing left to do is choose the plants wait for the water then put my fish in there.
please tell me what you think cos i know these things matter.
deetheman_6

Postby Mick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 am

I reckon that's taking shape nicely, it will look even better when you get the plants in there

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals