Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My first tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: My first tank

Postby ThomasR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:25 pm

So how much ammonia do I put in I kind of just poured it in (but only a little bit)
ThomasR

Postby malakye » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 pm

As all brands vary from bottle to bottle, brand to brand you have to measure it carefully so you know how much you need.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blowfish » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:46 pm

If its pure ammonia i would say about 3ml to 25 gallon every day for a week.
Testing daily will let you know how its going.If you dont get an nitrite reading by week two repeat.
Once you have a nitrite reading stop adding ammonia.
Adding a bacterial suplement at this time helps speed it along a bit,you can add it daily until your nitrite level is almost gone.
As soon as the reading is 0.1-0 add fish as the bacteria that has cultured in the filter needs fed(fish poo) or it will die back!!
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Postby ThomasR » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:26 am

I bought an Eheim Ecco Pro and I did not understand the guy at the store. All I got was you change the white pad every month and that is how you clean it. I am wondering how you clean from your point of view.
ThomasR

Postby Big Den » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:48 am

For a start, pure ammonia cannot be purchased over the counter. It normally comes in a 9.5% solution and this should be added at a rate of 2.5ml to 60 litres to give an approximate reading of 4ppm. Add this solution to your tank until 4ppm is reached and then leave it until the reading drops to 1ppm, which could take a few days. When it drops to 1ppm, top it up again to 4ppm and continue daily until you get a nitrite reading. At this point add half of the original dose and check it daily. The ammonia will normally drop to about 1ppm each 24 hours and the nitrite will rise until it peaks. At this point half the dose again and continue until the nitrite falls, along with the ammonia, to zero. Don't get impatient when the nitrite seems to stay high for a long time, as this is normal, when it drops it will be suddenly and fast. Now the nitrate reading will be very high, to cure this do a large water change, as much as 90% and the tank is ready for fish. If you are not adding fish immediately, carry on adding the ammonia until 12 hours before you do.
Big Den

Postby ThomasR » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:09 am

ok the ammonia levels were at 4 ppm. So when it goes to 1 ppm I add more ammonia till it gets to 4 for about a week and then when I get a Nitrite reading I add half the amount I did?
ThomasR

Postby Big Den » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:50 am

You've got it Thomas, have patients and keep testing the water. Don't change any water, don't add any decor or anything. You can top up to replace evaporation, but that's all. Good luck and keep us posted.
Big Den

Postby ThomasR » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:36 pm

I just checked the ammonia and it was 4 to 5 ppm and I also checked the pH which was 7.6 or 7.8. So in a week or 2 I should start checking for Nitrite?(just want to make sure I am doing it right)
ThomasR

Postby ThomasR » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 am

I probably will not post as much because on Tuesday I am starting school :cry2: again but I will be posting still.
Last edited by ThomasR on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasR

Postby ThomasR » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 pm

I checked the Ammonia and it was 4 and the pH was 7.6 or so
ThomasR

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals