[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - 29 Gallon
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

29 Gallon

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

29 Gallon

Postby buckeyefishkeeper » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:33 am

I recently got a new 29 gallon tank! It's the biggest tank I've ever kept, as I'm just really getting started in this hobby :)

Right now I'm cycling it. I've kept the ammonia around 4 ppm for about a week and a half and I'm starting to finally see some nitrites. Now it's just a waiting game until I can add some fish! Right now I'm thinking of dwarf gouramis (will they be aggressive if I keep more than one?), danios, neon tetras and whatever else I can come up with and fit in there, abiding the 1 inch per gallon rule of course. :winkin
buckeyefishkeeper

Re: 29 Gallon

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:51 am

That certainly is a good looking set up.
As far as the Dwarf Gourami's, they can be but it's really up to the individual personalities of the fish. I'm pretty sure there are members here who have kept them in groups and I had one that I kept with a variety of different species and he didn't bother anyone.
POS_miniracer

Postby Mick » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:07 am

As Tom posted it can be down to the individual fish, only add one male to the tank with a female and you should be fine.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby vinboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 pm

I would go for the honey get 1 male to 3 females and they breed easy as a bubble nester
with broken plants at surface.
Or the very small croaking/sparkling dwarf can be put in a much bigger group and they
are little stunners and do make a clicking nose when displaying.
vinboy

Postby seniorfishkeepr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Very nice looking tank indeed! :ok:
Looks and sounds as though you've got some experience in the hobby. Great!
The 29 gallon has always been one of my favorite sized tanks. Large enough for
a nice stable little community tank, but not too large as too overwhelm your room.
Welcome to the forum! :-):
seniorfishkeepr

seniorfishkeepr

Postby buckeyefishkeeper » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks guys! I would love to go with a planted tank, but with being at school and eventually having to move the tank when I graduate, I thought I'd leave that until later when I can really do some research about it. So I had to stick with plastic, well, except for the marimo balls I used to keep with my betta fish! That's what started it for me, a single betta. Now I'm hooked on keeping fish! :) I've never cycled a tank before, but it seems to be going smoothly so far. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask!
buckeyefishkeeper

Postby malakye » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 pm

either a single dwarf Gourami or a pair, (ensure it is a true pair though) will do fine in that size tank along with the others you mentioned you will have a nice variety. I kept dwarf gourami for years and think they are brilliant fish.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buckeyefishkeeper » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I have a few questions.

My tank has been cycling for about two weeks now, but it's not progressing like I've read it is supposed to. At the beginning I added 4 ppm of ammonia and it took about a week for the ammonia to start going down. Ever since then I test the ammonia and add just enough to get it back at 4 ppm everyday, that way it is easy to keep track of. The next day when I test it, it will usually be around 1 ppm. So in a 24 hour period it's eating about 3 ppm of ammonia. The weird part of this is that when I test the nitrites I get nothing every time, and this is confusing me. I also test for nitrates and I get a little more than 0. Where is this ammonia going? lol The water was treated for chlorine before cycling and I'm not using any products like ammo-lock....

EDIT: I did get about a nitrite level of 1 a few days ago, but since then, nothing.
buckeyefishkeeper

Postby Mick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 am

The cycle can take 4-6 weeks and everything usually happens towards the end of it, be patient you will get readings of nitrites and nitrates eventually :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:50 pm

You are on the right track with your cycle, its just a case of patience. It will seem to take forever to get nitrites but once they appear and spike they drop really quickly.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals