Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Advice please, API Freshwater Test kit

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Advice please, API Freshwater Test kit

Postby athol » Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi all

I've got the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, and I've been tests on Ammonia and Nitrites over the last week. Ammonia is looking ok, I'm keeping the tank fed with liquid ammonia on a daily basis. Tank has been going for 3 weeks now, with daily feedings.

I'm following the instructions on the test kit fine, clean test tube, add 5ml of tank water, and 5 drops of Nitrite solution, shake for 5 seconds, wait 5 mins. after 5 mins the water solution is a light green colour...problem is the test kit card doesn't display a light green colour for Nitrite, instead it starts pale blue and goes to a deep purple colour.

So, my question is, am I doing something wrong? ( I don't think I am), or do I have a faulty test kit ? I'd expect to be seeing some Nitrie in the tank after 3 weeks....? but if not,I'd expect my test water to at least be showing the correct colour on the test card...

Any ideas ?
athol

Re: Advice please, API Freshwater Test kit

Postby Big Den » Sun May 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Check the bottles, a nitrite test will not go green under any conditions. The ammonia test which uses 2 chemicals, goes from yellow to a dark green, you may have mixed them up. At only 3 weeks you should still have ammonia and very little nitrite.
Big Den

Postby athol » Sun May 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I've checked and triple checked Den, I'm using the Nitrite bottle, and its going green.
athol

Postby Big Den » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 pm

They may have mixed the bottles during packing. I'd return them to the shop, they can always double check them with there water.
Big Den

Postby athol » Mon May 23, 2011 5:27 am

Ok, thanks Den, I'll try doing that tonight after work.
athol

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals