[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - My 4th tank! Biggest one yet. Advice Please!
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My 4th tank! Biggest one yet. Advice Please!

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

My 4th tank! Biggest one yet. Advice Please!

Postby Kasalaw » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:43 am

This is the big one for me, I started over a year ago with a 25L and 3 white clouds, after many ups and downs I now have a 60L with 4 adult white clouds, 25L of 80-150 0.5-1.5cm young ones and a 12L of 40 fry.

2 days ago i made a hasty decision and bought a 4x1.7x1.3ft (WxHxD roughly) 180L (i may have worked that out wrong) ClearSeal Tank. I want to move my small ones into there to begin with, eventually add the adults when the time is right and finally 2 hillstream loaches and snails.

Does that sound faesible?? and will 1 aqua-flow 100 filter on each end aimed in the right direction produce a decent enough flow for the loaches??

All im certain of for the set up of the tank, is to have a gradient of fine gravel to sand accross the length of it so please post all your ideas and i'll keep everyone updated on the progress with lots of photos. Ill post one of the tank tomorrow as its a bit late now.

I'm also keen to know the safest/most efficient way of filling it.

Im very excited but also very worried about the upcoming events, i hope it doesn't lead to disaster. :cry:
Last edited by Kasalaw on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasalaw

Re: My 4th tank! Biggest one yet. Advice Please!

Postby Mick » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 am

Trust me, keeping a larger tank is often easier than maintaining a smaller one, with the larger water volume it is easier to control the quality and the water parameters will be more stable once cycled.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby konstargirl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I always wanted to upgrade to larger tanks for my two small ones, but I end up now having the money or room.
[color="#A0522D"]^[/color]
konstargirl

Postby malakye » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:25 pm

As Mick said the bigger the tank the easier. Those filters will be a bit of a push to cope with that tank but should do ok. They will not provide that much of a current though, most manufacturers give the flow rates based on the filter running with no media so you end up needing to double the size when you count in media.
As for the safest way to start it up, if you can put some of the media out of your existing filters into the new ones and use some of the water from your little tanks it will give your new tank a good kick start, if your planning to move the fish over straight away only move a few at a time giving the bacteria in the filters time to catch up with the bioload before moving the next batch over. Go slowly, I would only move about a quarter of the youngsters over to begin with, leave it a couple of weeks before moving the next ten over and wait again before the next batch. Patience is key if you go too quickly you will not give the filter enough time to build up enough bacteria to cope with what's in there. Keep checking your stats and do regular water changes.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:35 am

Good advice :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Kasalaw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I've ordered the two filters, is it a good idea to swap one for the AquaFlow 200 in my 90 litre? Its a well set up filter and i'll be slowly filling the new tank from the smaller ones anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kasalaw on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasalaw

Postby ragawaga » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I can't really add anything new that hasn't been said here.

One thing though...if you're making the tank planted....I would suggest getting all of your plants sorted at once...and planting before it's filled. I didn't....and wished I had. Comparing the difficulty of planting stuff now compared to when the water wasn't in makes some difference.

As far as the filters go....I wouldn't completely swap one that you have on a current tank to this one if you're planning on keeping the others running. An old trick is to swap half of the filter media from an established tank with half from a new tank. Make sure to have some sort of source of ammonia if you're doing this otherwise the bacteria colony in the established media will starve. The half media that is sterile will quickly be colonised in an established tank.

Play about with your hardscape for a bit before adding ANY water or plants in. Let it sit for a day or two so you can decide if you actually want that...then you can try to picture what plants and where. I didn't have my tank when I had most of my hardscape so I made a footprint on my floor to do this.

As everyone has said..patience. It's too easy to go rushing cause you want to see something swimming in there....but if you do something hasty now, you may be stuck with it for a long time.
ragawaga

Postby Kasalaw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for your advice, i'm not ready to take on a planted tank yet and i want to get everything perfect before i add the fish however long it takes. Also i want to swap the filters so there is more L/H going through the filters, i know what you mean and that is a good point and i will keep back half of the carbon sticks for the new filter to go in the old 60L. Ive got bricks now, filters are in the post, and i'm getting a kitchen surface to lay on the bricks on wednesday. So i'll start filling it up and post a pic.
Kasalaw

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals