[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Jim's 2nd tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Jim's 2nd tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Jim's 2nd tank

Postby jimpunker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:50 pm

So I got bored of going to the other half's place and having no fish to admire other than two ugly goldfish lol. So I started a tank there :-)

Managed to get all the gear I needed fairly cheap. Tank, filter, heater, lighting, nutrient rich substrate, fine gravel and 3 nice bits of rock for £94 roughly.

The filter came with the tank but I think I may need to get something a little smaller as this one seems to have no speed control and is kicking up a bit of a storm! lol Anyway it's all set up now, water treatment is in and the long wait for allowing fish in starts. It has a Lilly in the back corner and... Oh bugger plant name has slipped my mind now.... Looks kind of like cress... lol I'm sure you all know what I mean. So just have a look at the pictures, more plants will go in soon. Wanted some hair grasses but there were none in when I popped in today and I'm planning on keeping some guppies in there with a few others. Any suggestions on how I can make the tank better (other than external filtration cos i cant afford it atm) please feel free.

jimpunker

Re: Jim's 2nd tank

Postby jimpunker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Have jut finished striping off this bit of wood from a tree I cut down a few months back. It shall be joining the tank soon enough.

wood.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpunker

Postby malakye » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:46 pm

That will look good with some java moss tied too it.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jimpunker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 pm

I was thinking Java or weeping.
jimpunker

Postby jimpunker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:52 pm

OK, so here are some more pictures of the tank. Have moved the Lily and added the wood.

jimpunker

Postby malakye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Are the little bottles just for decoration? Watch for fish getting trapped in them. Apart from that it looks good. Keep an eye on your wood to make sure its not leeching anything into the water.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jimpunker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 pm

They are just for decoration yeh. Not sure the fish will manage to get in as the opening is quite small. I did notice when I first went to put the wood in that something came off it so I soaked it and tried again and all was fine. I think it was just on the outside rather than in the wood. Where is the best place online to buy testing kits for the water?

Have been doing daily 10% changes for the last 5 days. Thinking of doing a larger change, maybe 30%, tomorrow. What do ya think?
jimpunker

Postby Jack Middleton » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:32 pm

Buy test kits online, I see that you're in the UK, the best choice for you would be the Salifert range, they're well priced and are the most accurate and precise test kits in that price range, I tested the accuracy and precision of the 3 against reference solutions and lab grade equipment last year, others similarly priced are API and Hagen but neither are very good compared, you should be able to pick up all 4 you require for around £20-25.

Large and frequent water changes are good on new set ups as it prevents algal groups.
Last edited by Jack Middleton on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Middleton

Postby malakye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Personally I swear by the API kits, you can pick them up on ebay for about the twenty quid mark.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:04 am

API man myself, it all depends on which you get used to using.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals