[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Jim's 2nd tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Jim's 2nd tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: Jim's 2nd tank

Postby jimpunker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Had water tested at Maidenhead Aquatics today (as I've yet to buy my own kit)....

Quote of the day "Your water is minging!"

Have super high nitrates. :-( In good news though, my lilly has more than doubled in size!
jimpunker

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm

water changes, water changes and more water changes called for then
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jimpunker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:08 pm

thinking I might just let the filter cycle for the next few months as it may have to be moved in December anyway. That will at least let the plants get settled in better as they seem to be doing alright at the moment. Then at least when I move it I don't have to worry about the water being ok for fish etc because I will not have any in there until a month after it moves houses.
jimpunker

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:15 pm

without something to feed the filter bacteria it will not really cycle.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jimpunker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 pm

hmmm... Problem I'm having is that if I buy fish now, in 3 months I might have to move meaning I'll have to massively reduce the water in the tank to move it. This will in turn mean I need to put new water in making it unsuitable for fish...
jimpunker

Postby malakye » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Leave it running as is for now until you know what is happening. Then when you have moved cycle the tank before adding fish that way it saves you all the headaches lol.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Big Den » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:10 pm

You have to remember Jim that water does not hold any bacteria, it's the filter media, gravel and decor that does that. Once a filter is cycled you can do a 99% water change and the filter will be fine, as long as it has a food source.
Big Den

Postby jimpunker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Water tested again...PERFECT!!!!

We now have a breading group of 4 platies in there. They seem like a strange fish to me, spend a lot of time hanging around at the top of the tank lol
jimpunker

Postby jimpunker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:08 pm

OK so it took me ages to get the water safe for life but we now have 3 platys and a bristlenose catfish in the tank :-)

rachtank5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpunker

Postby Tukje » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Nice, I love the white stones.
Can I ask what vallisneria you have?
Tukje

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals