[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - The route I should have went first *Check for updates*
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

The route I should have went first *Check for updates*

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

The route I should have went first *Check for updates*

Postby Kempinski » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 pm

So as my 10g tank approaches it's first full year of being active, I'm looking back at several mistakes (personal preference and bad practice) I've decided I want to start up a 20g maybe a 29g tank.

I know that I want this to be a real planted tank, Java Ferns, Anubis, Crypts, and moss balls are my desired beginner plant life. I want black substrate this go around (even though my orange and blue substrate in my 10g is rather pretty ^.^) I'll be cycling with Platies (1m 3f).

The rest of the equipment I haven't decided on yet (lights filters etc.)

I figure if I let you guys (and gals) know you can keep me on the straight and narrow AND hound me for progress updates :P

Revised plan as provided by you guys!

29g aquarium
install new filters for 29g in 10g
put old water from 10g into my 29g
clean my mature 10g filter media in my 29g
make layer of sludge before adding substrate
after adding substrate plant scaping begins
bi-daily 50% water changes
track stats daily
eventually add fishies as it's safe to do so.
Last edited by Kempinski on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Re: The route I should have went first

Postby malakye » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Rather than cycling it using fish please consider doing a fishless cycle, its much kinder.
As you have a tank running if you can't/don't want to do a fishless cycle (it is better and safer) what you could do is take some of the media out of your ten gallon filter and add it into the new filter or if you can't do that then squeeze the gunk out the 10gallon filter into the new filter, use half the water from your ten gallon to start filling the new tank and only add one or at very most two female platies, allow the filter to catch up with them for a few weeks (keep a good check on your stats) don't try to rush things, if the stats remain good then add another couple of fish. Doing it this way you will have to add fish slowly giving the bacteria time to catch up with what the fish are producing before adding anything else. Patience is key or you will put too much into the new tank too soon and end up with stressed diseased fish.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jack Middleton » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm

If you're serious about the planted option then fish in cycling with plants is a good option, just ensure that the plant mass is high and you have a good quantity of stem plants such as Hygrophila etc, 80% substrate coverage and 50% bi-daily water changes and good circulation. Place any mulm that has accumulated in your 10G's filter under the substrate, and add mature media from the off if possible just to prevent any blips in ammonia which may cause algae. Just ensure that if you want to keep things low tech ie no ferts and CO2 then keep your lighting at about 1WPG of T8 for 6 hours a day to begin with.

On a 20-30G I'd be using an external personally providing a turnover of 10x an hour, you can't beat good circulation in a planted tank.
Jack Middleton

Postby Kempinski » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:39 pm

My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 am

Jack Middleton

Re: The route I should have went first *Check for updates*

Postby Kempinski » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Has anyone ever bought plants in a "package deal"
http://www.aquariumplants.com/36_Plant_ ... shll36.htm
I stumbled upon this site today, reasonable prices (I think). But being I don't know much about aquarium plants i was thinking that jumping right in with with a package like this might be a good idea. Thoughts?
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Generally with those all in one deals you get a few non-aquatics, personally I'd buy pots of tropica plants, you get so much more, even if they are a little more expensive, the quality is amazing too, buying from other hobbyists is good too.
Jack Middleton

Postby Kempinski » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for the pointers Jack, the site is pretty generous on their pricing (thank you weak USD) but I saw that package and had to ask, I'm thrifty like that. There's not many hobbyists in the area, and if there is, they're very well hidden. I'll ask both the LFS's in town here if I can post a wanted ad and hope for some replies.

The same site also offers a custom design service that costs 20 USD + plants + shipping.
They provide a questionaire as follows:

Customer Name ______________
Phone number: ______________
Order number ____________
Payment method ___________
Preferred Ship date ___________
Gallons: _______________
dimensions: Length/Width/Height __________________________________
lighting: total watts/kelvin rating/type of lighting: _________
Water Hardness_______
Co2 system: complete details _________
Do you have a working knowledge of how hardness & Co2 work together? _________(if not, click here: gH & pH calculator & info
Substrate: eco-complete/fluorite/gravel, AquariumPlants.com’s own _________
Fertilizers _________
Water temp: usually dictated by your choice of fish _________
UV Sterilizer (brand/size) ________
Substrate Heating System (brand/size) _________
Filtration (canister/sump/hang-on filter) _________
Driftwood/Rocks: how many pieces? How large?) _________
Planting preference: lightly, moderately, densely planted _________
Photo available of a tank you would like to duplicate or follow. _________
Budget: How much do you wish to spend on the plants _________
Do you have equipment/driftwood/substrate ordered from us that must be shipped to arrive before the plants arrive?________

*****Questionaire above is proerty of Aquariumplants.com*****
My tank:
29 Gallon
Inhabitants
5 Albino Bronze Cories
6 Peppered Cories
13 Platies
7 Guppies
4 Swordtails
Circa 03/12
Kempinski

Postby malakye » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm

I have bought plant packages from the last trading post an ebay seller previously and was more than happy with their selection and they were all true aquatics.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals