[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Tukjes Vivarium
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Tukjes Vivarium

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Tukjes Vivarium

Postby Tukje » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Dear Fishtank'ers

After beeing too buzy to post for a while (gruaduating, and they offered me a job :booze: ) I finally have some spare time again. Since then I've been wondering what to do with my 60cm fish tank (used to be "shrimps heaven"). After searching the web for quite a while I found myself attrackted to a paludarium (don't know if its the right English word), a tank with land and water! Since I allready have a big fishtank in the livingroom, this new project should be cheap to buy and cheap in maintaince (and not raise my electric bills!). So after searching some more, and speaking to pro's the decision was made, Me Wants Frogzz :cla: . This frog called (free translated from dutch) Firebellytoad (its a frog though called toad, weird?!) can live in cold temperaturs down to 5 degrees celcius. So no need for 100W lamps or what so ever! (cheap billzz)

Maybe this topic suits "DIY" also, but I'd love to keep you posted, even when im done building!

First of all, my tank. I allready had the tank, pump etc. Only the stones are new (€3,50):
It is not decorated yet, though allready building bacteria's in my pump for a quicker start!

I found some free wood and bought some woodglue (€3,00), allready had a saw and other tools I needed so no expences on that

Fitting the tanktop

Seeing the light for the first time!

In order for the wood not to rot, I had to paint it. As the Rolling stones would say:
"I see a fish tank, and I want it Painted black" or something.

(€5,20 for black and €5,20 for red paint, bout €5 for extra paintingassessery's and €1,50 for rollingstones single).

Tomorow and the day after tomorow I will finish painting it all. The red background will be a combination of red and black to make it a little more natural. When im done, at the end, I will add plants and others to make sure the background is not visible.

Expenses so far: €23,40.
Experince so far: Pricesless

Then, OMG, I saw someone offering 8 firebellytoads for free! Healthy and all! So I had to pick them up, that saved me around €50!!!

They are now in a 50x50x50 tank, waiting for their new home to be finished.

Some pictures of them:

Feel free to ask questions, and I would really love (nice) comments :blus:
Tukje

Re: Tukjes Vivarium

Postby Mick » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:48 am

Interesting project, I love amphibians of any description anyway so will follow this closely :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby weirdartist » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm

love it :) like the price too! (especially the addition of the rolling stones music! lol) Can't wait to see more pictures as you finish it all.

Terry
weirdartist

Postby weirdartist » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 pm

PS we usually call them Vivariums I think, but I don't really know... 'Frog Tank' is perfectly suitable name :)

Terry
weirdartist

Postby malakye » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 pm

paludarium is the correct word, BigDen made one of those on here too. He has fish in the water section and just plants in the top section which looks great. Heres the link for his which may give you some ideas
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5950

Your firebellys look fantastic and like the others I will be interested in hearing and seeing more of them and how their new house progresses.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tukje » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:10 am

Thanks for your reactions guys :).
In the water part of the "froquarium" there will be Tanichthys albonubes, Thats also because they survive at roomtemperature ;)
Tukje

Postby Tukje » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Little update.
Tomorrow I will start to "furnish" the dry part of my froquarium. Planning on using chicken wire and Hedera helix on the walls.

Shaping up allready
Tukje

Postby weirdartist » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:35 pm

see? Told you I didn't know anything... Thanks Malakye :) Starting to look really nice.

Terry
weirdartist

Postby malakye » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:12 am

Terry they do get confusing hun so no worries lol.

Looks great.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tukje » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:42 am

Now its time to start decorating. Its gonna take a while untill I filled the whole froquarium with plants.
Its hard to take nice pictures at daytime.
Tukje

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals