[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Nano shrimp set up
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Nano shrimp set up

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: Nano shrimp set up

Postby Getthejist » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Isnt a bit early to have all ready have gotten shrimp or has the tank been set up before the original post?
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Jack Middleton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 pm

I added them after 2 days, the plants are doing the cycling for me, the Shrimp produce so little waste that the plants can utilise the ammonia they produce, the ammonia that the substrate was leaching was also being utilised by the plants.

I'm also doing 50% daily water changes, it will remove a build up of alleochemicals from the rotting Crypts and prevents algae.
Jack Middleton

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Well that does make sense but if your plants are using all the ammonia the filters not doing much. Are you going to use the walstad method with this tank (sort of)?
Getthejist

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 pm

The filter is doing nothing bar circulating the water and acting as mechanical filtration. Similar to the Walstad method but this tank is high tech, I'm adding ferts and carbon whereas with the Walstad method you wouldn't.
Jack Middleton

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm

In her method she did use CO2 but she said it killed all of her fish i think
Getthejist

Postby Jack Middleton » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

The Walstad method doesn't use CO2 or any other additional nutrients, it relies on these excreted by the fish.
Jack Middleton

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:51 pm

In her book it metions the use of co2 but she said she didnt like it as lots can go wrong and she advises against it
Last edited by Getthejist on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getthejist

Postby malakye » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Can we keep this to Jacks shrimp tank please, its on the verge of ending up a debate about something he has already said he is not doing.

Tank looks great Jack looking forward to seeing it fill out and develope over the coming weeks.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chucky » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Chucky

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm

What sort of carbon are you using co2 injection or liquid carbon?
Getthejist

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals