[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Shrimp tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Shrimp tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Shrimp tank

Postby Getthejist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Hey guys ive just finished setting up my shrimp only breeding tank (and will be selling them). Its 45l tank with a box filter which uses a 50lph air pump but is slighty less at probably 35-40lph which is less than one times tank turnover which might be a problem. Its uses one 15W t8 lights and has a piece of mopani wood which has anubias nana and java moss on it, there are several lava rocks in the some of them with java moss on, there are also 3 moss balls, dwarf hair grass, dwarf chain sword and vallis. torta in it although the vallis is hard to see as there was a bit of a mishap. It uses a 50W heater and the tank did come with a filter but i thought it would be too strong anyway heres the tank. Also it uses dirt and is capped with an inch or so of 2mm gravel.

The java moss isnt tied on very well i just wrapped the string roung whatever it was attached to so it looks quite bad :oops: :lolflag
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Re: Shrimp tank

Postby malakye » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:34 pm

The box filter for shrimp will be fine and the moss will attach itself and grow to cover the string.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Getthejist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm

i know thats why i tied the java moss but i knew it would take hold of the stuff so i was lazy and didnt tie it down properly but is less than 1 times tank turnover a problem

actually im probably going to get the filter from downstairs which is 200lph which has mature media aswell
Getthejist

Postby malakye » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:40 pm

You dont want a huge turnover for shrimp, because they have such a tiny bioload your box filter will be more than enough.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Getthejist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:06 pm

i was looking for a 100 lph water pump as this would only mean 3 times tank turnover which would get the necassary flow on the other side of the tank but also the 200lph is probably slightly less as there is quite a lot of bacteria which will slow down the flow quite a lot and it uses a spray bar which splits the flow but at the risk of someone saying stay on topic the vallis is boncing back after losing its colour its getting a bit more green and im going to add some shrimp once the plants are esltablished and may move my fish in to there so i can reset up their snail infested tank would a salt solution kill the snails i might use a salt with normal tap water solution to kill them im going to put blue tigers in here but only if people are willing to buy some as they are quite expensive what do you think a good price for them would be?
Getthejist

Postby malakye » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Don't use salt in your fish tank, it will not kill snails. If your cleaning out the tank just clean things and then set it back up.
If you overfilter a shrimp tank they will just get blown about and will NOT breed, shrimp dont need a lot of current and do fine with the box filter, if your worried just add another box filter to the opposite corner but honestly I have run a 24inch tank for shrimp with just one box filter, so your tank will be fine. As for prices you will have to decide yourself what you want but be aware if you price them too highly people will not buy them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Getthejist » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

well there is no flow in one side of the tank at the bottom so i wanted a pump to pump water over there just so i dont get blue green algae and so the plants can utilise some more of the nutrients but i cant seem to split to flow as the flow of the pump goes with one side or the other i suppose i could use a flow restrictor to make it even amount of flow
I figured out how to do it and have added a diy box filter took me 30 seconds to make and looks similar to the other box filter well here it is. Also noticing a small amount of growth from the swords and the vallis is regaining its colour

also i cranked the temp up to 28 degrees to speed up the cycling process
I checked to ammonia levels yesterday and it was .25 ppm and i added some more food so ill check if the ammonia levels have risen (sorry about the multiple posts)
Last edited by malakye on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: multiple posts
Getthejist

Postby Getthejist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Ammonia is readin 3ppm and the tanks got that weird layer of white fuzz stuff you get on a dead fish do im gonna do a bit of gravel vacuuming. This isnt a bad thing as there is still loads of food to decompose but the bacteria (which i think it is) is really ugly and is covering some plants also the vallis are getting greener at the bottom but dying off at the top and the dwarf chain swords are looking ok but not great also the almond leaf dropped the pH to about 6.9 from 7.6 in a few day but it was a pretty big one so i may use the smaller ones in the future. Are there any other leaves that i can use as these ones are quite expensive. Also im going to get a bit of media from my 40l tank and put it in the shrimp tank to help cycle it faster or i may get some from my betta tank which is downstairs but there is some bacterial growth on some of the ceramic media which is good i will post a few pictures later. (on a different subject i read that spirulina like blue green algae is cynobacteria is this true or is it an algae, and apparently its really good for shrimp to eat this is this true?)
Getthejist

Postby Mick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Spirulina is a cynobacteria and is great for feeding shrimps as well as veggie fish

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Getthejist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Can you culture it or is it hard to do?
Getthejist

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals