[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - 160l goldfish tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

160l goldfish tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: 160l goldfish tank

Postby Blowfish » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 am

Remember keeping fish is meant to be fun .... 25% once a week will be plenty !!! any more than that willl upset your fishys!!!!!!!!
Keep good water = Keep good fish!!
Blowfish

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:14 pm

because they are fancies they dont need the 20 gallon per fish so your fine, I wouldn't recommend such big water changes either.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cathface » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:52 pm

well there are two different recommended stocking levels for fancies - either 20g for the first then 10g for every subsequent, or 10g for every fish. even if I go for the latter, I am completely and utterly fully-stocked. they produce such a bioload that it is necessary (and even recommended) to do such big water changes. as I have said before, 25% weekly is not enough for goldfish, unless you have one fancy in a 30g or something. also as I have said before, doing big water changes may upset tropical and marine set ups, but it will not upset a goldfish one. big water changes is preferred amongst expert goldfish keepers, because of how quickly the nitrates climb in goldfish tanks. if I did 25% weekly, I would never lower the nitrates enough.
cathface

Postby Mick » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Whoops,Im doing 10% weekly with my fancies ;)

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:20 pm

We have 4 fancies in a 40 gallon and only do 25% weekly but then we do have a bigger filter so maybe thats why we dont have any nitrate issues.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cathface » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:11 pm

cathface

Postby malakye » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Its actually my sons tank, he does weekly water changes of 20-25% and the nitrates are never over 20ppm. He has a Fluval 205 external filter, there's also 2 baby bristlenose babies in the tank with them and an apple snail. He does have a whole load of java ferns in the tank with them too which no doubt helps too.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cathface » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:30 am

ohh I reckon it's all those java ferns that are keeping the nitrates down then. unfortunately I have no real plants in my tank to help me with this, so I just have to remove and keep in check the nitrates manually.
cathface

Postby malakye » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:28 am

If you want some java fern let me know I will bring you some up.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cathface » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:18 am

thank you for the very kind offer! but don't worry about it, I'm keeping my goldie tank silk and minimal. :)
cathface

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals