[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Postby Angelfish » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:12 pm

So far its just a plain tank with nothing in it.
We'd like to mimic their natural environment but I need some help along the way.
I would like to try to have some real plants, so my questions for the day are what kind of lighting do I need? Because of the hood design I really only have room for the basic single florescent tube fixture but have no idea about spectrum or wattage etc.
The tank is 48" wide, 22" tall and 12" front to rear.

I'm also looking for plant recommendations.
Again, I'd like to use plants found in their natural environment but I also need something fairly idiot proof.

And I guess now would be the time to ask about substrate before Tom fills it with the same fine gravel he uses in all his tanks. He says that sometimes people use a particular dirt or clay like substance but he doesn't know anything about that being "just a rocks and water guy"

And I suppose I should consider possible/potential tank mates?
He showed me some Rams which are great but what else?

Angelfish

Re: My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Postby malakye » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 pm

You can go for easy to grow plants like amazon sword, vallis, java ferns, anubias etc. which you do not need special equipment for. If your going planted I personally like sand, which would work great for some cory catfish tank mates as well.
With our angels (my tank was 100 gallon), we had a selection of fish from pearl gourami, bolivian rams, xray tetra, farlowella, cory catfish, bosemani rainbowfish, lemon tetra, emperor tetra. My son has a 4ft tank now with some of my angelfish youngsters and he has a couple of bolivians, bristlenose plecs, rummy nose tetra, xray tetra and black tetra. Don't put neon tetra in with them as they will become food but most other peaceful fish work.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:32 am

I should mention the pH is usually about an 8 and I prefer not to play with it at least from a chemical or additive standpoint. Plenty of wood and moss I don't mind but beyond that it is what it is.

If I were picking from Tetra's these are some I've kept in the past with good luck
X-Ray
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2474
Lemon
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2384
Black Phantom
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2338
Black Widow
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=1555

These I've never kept but something about them sticks out in my mind, can't remember if it's good or bad but something tells me it was bad.
Rummy Nose
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=1778

For Cories I've always liked these but to be honest I'd rather avoid sand if I could. Also, keep in mind that my dad is giving me a couple of Pleco's and we already have the one catfish so don't get carried away with bottom dwellers. It's not that big a tank and Cories like to be in groups.
Bandit
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=1463
Panda
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=1860
Julii
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=1984

Personally I'm a huge fan of Gouramies but when I think Gourami I think Asia and not Central America. But have a look at some of the profiles there and you'll probably get over that pretty quick. That and I could probably talk the old man out of a few of those too, if I ever make it up there.

Other options I might consider are...
Keyhole cichlids which I've had good luck with in the past
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1735
Flag or Festivum
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2263
Or possibly look into these Redstripe Apisto but I think our water might be a little hard for these
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1353
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Any of the cory will work. Keyholes will be ok although I would avoid the other festivum simply because they do get really aggressive when spawning.

Rummynose tetra are brilliant and work well with angels, they add a bit of colour and are peaceful, just add at least 6 or they can be shy. X-ray again are fine. I would not add black widows with them as they can be nippers and can destroy the trailing fins on angelfish.

As for lowering the pH, add bogwood and it will drop it a bit.
Just keep in mind the angels get large so just pick a few other tank mates as the angels will soon fill the space.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:40 am

Oh yeah, they're filling up fast already in the 29G.

Not so much their size but their little attitudes.
It's been a while since I've got to see a batch of anything develop. Always bickering. Unless they're eating and then they're eating & bickering.

I want to move them this week and get some tall cover for them. I think we're going to go with silk until spring. Everything at the LFS looked like it was already struggling and we want to at least start with healthy plants. The moss looked good though. I just wish it would warm up enough to go hunting for some wood.

Besides, I still have no idea what lighting I need?

I'm stuck with this hood so whatever it is it's got to be narrow.

POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:27 pm

look for a T5 fitting, the tubes are thinner on those so would fit in, failing that build a box which can sit on top of the glass in the centre to take a couple of T8 tubes.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angelfish » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Ok first off all I have to say is WOW.. Who knew people knew this much about fish. Growing up I just put them in the water and if they lived that was great if not down the toilet bowl they went. Tom seems to be teaching me more and more daily about fish and as far as the silk plants I have decided thats not going to happen. I think it would just be easier and better on me and the fishies if we just went with real plants. And of course Tom has been able to redirect my path of wanting sand. Granted I think that sand would look better but then again I am one for going easy and from what he has told me sand isnt that easy to keep clean. :)
As far as lighting I still need to find the answer for that I figure the first thing We need to get is proper lighting no point in getting plants before that as I dont want to have to take care of dieing plants from improper lighting. Any Ideas would be helpful..

Proper spectrum & wattage?
Angelfish

Postby malakye » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:21 pm

I tend to disagree about sand not being easy to keep clean. All you have to do is use a bit of hose and syphon off any much that lies on top of it when you do your weekly water changes lol.
If your going for easy care plants like amazon swords, vallis etc then you can get away with T8 lights, just add some liquid carbon fertilizer on a weekly basis. I never went the really strong lights always sticking to t8 lights and never went for anything other than the liquid ferts and have had planted tanks for years.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angelfish » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 pm

What is a good wattage to use for the plants and the fish?
Angelfish

Postby malakye » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm

I am sure the tubes for a 4ft tank are 30watts but just double check that, I think my 5ft tank was 40watts. I had 2 tubes on my tank, I always used freshwater tropical tubes.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals