Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:30 am

Not tomorrow dear. Tomorrow the 3 year hunt for Chocolate's comes to an end if I can just get in and out of that hood before dark.

Besides, remember that I have to take the 305 off your tank now to support the added bio load from the Chocolate's in the 90G so you'll be back to the sponge and I don't want to overburden that. We need to give that hang on tank filter I added a little bit of time too.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Angelfish if you have a look through my freshwater tank journal you should see some of my angelfish and tank mates including rummynose tetras.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angelfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

LOL, So we added a few new members to the Angelfish tank. 6 albino plecos. they are so small right now but very pretty. I am excited to see now which one of these pair off and I cant wait till they get bigger.. Its worse then when I was a kid trying to fall asleep on Christmas eve to open present Christmas day. LOL
Angelfish

Postby superdart » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 pm

I just love this 55 G post....... :-):
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 am

I'm a bit worried about a couple of these guys.
One of the sunsets appears to have suffered a pretty good bite at the base of the tail and isn't doing well and then I noticed one of the rams hiding out and looking odd.
POS_miniracer

Postby Angelfish » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:15 am

Sad to say the sunset angel didn't make it and the ram didn't take long to go either... :( but everyone else is doing pretty good. I am excited for the weather to start warming up. I want to move forward with these fish :)
Angelfish

Postby andym127 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 am

The traditional way to calculate light requirement is via watts/US gallon.

Typically these are the rules of thumb:

Low lights are between 1 - 2 watts per gallon (0.3 - 0.5 watt/litre)
Medium lights are between 2 - 3 watts per gallon (0.5 - 0.8 w/l)
High lights have 3 watts per gallon or higher (0.8 w/l or higher)

You just need to decide whether you need low, medium or high based on the plants and whether you are injecting co2.
andym127

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:37 pm

So, For the last several weeks these Angelfish have been slowly dying off one at a time and for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

It started with that first Ram then eventually an Angelfish and then one after another the Angelfish are dropping as did the other Ram.

The water all tests within what I'd typically see in that tank which is just a touch of nitrate (all my tanks always show just a smidgen of nitrate) so I don't think it's a water quality issue. I looked in the filter just to make sure there was no old charcoal in that one (there was none) and then I added some just in case some sort of toxin had gotten in there.

I'm leaning toward aggression but I just can't be sure. There's no physical damage to the fish when I find them (some I found while still alive) and except for a lack of energy or ability to control their swimming (they just seem very week right before dying) they appear okay. I will also add this, I can usuallt predict who'll be next because they'll hide for a few days first in what has become known as "the dead spot". They also seem to be dying off in order of size from smallest to the largest and for some reason it only seems to have affected the marbles. So far I've lost 5 of 8 marbles.

I knew I'd have too many for a 55 if they all survived but now I'm starting to wonder if they aren't just sorting that out on their own, not that they're growing all that fast now anyway. And I wouldn't think it'd be overcrowded already. Whatever id going on it doesn't seem to affect the pleco's
POS_miniracer

Postby Angelfish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:24 pm

I still think that we should just let nature take its course.. Lets just see which survive and don't.. If they all die then I just think that they were a bad bunch.
Angelfish

Postby malakye » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Angelfish are not usually aggressive if raised together, I would be leaning towards something in the tank from before you got it. We had 40 plus in a tank at one stage and Billy (my son) still has 8 in his tank. What are the actual stats Tom?
I disagree with the bad bunch statement, usually if its a bad bunch they would have died when smaller.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals