Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: My 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank

Postby POS_miniracer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:27 am

Honestly Candise I couldn't read the numbers at the time. I kind of winged it off the color. My tap water often has a touch of ammonia but I use AmQuel+ for conditioner and that tank gets roughly 20-25 percent a week. The pH was about a 7.5 which is what it was testing when I set it up but I hadn't tested it between until the other day so it could have been up and down for all I know. I just checked it again today and I can't see any increase in color.

I was slipping with my gravel vacs when I first added the bristlenose because I had forgotten what pleco's leave behind ;-) I thought that might have been an issue but the thing is they appear to die off all in the same way and usually about a week to two weeks apart. It just seems weird to me that something in the tank would take that long to knock them off one at a time like that.

I think I added that mopani about the same time it started. I had boiled it over a long period of time before adding it but it was still leaching pretty good. So I thought maybe on a long shot with the water changes I was causing swings in the pH so I removed it.

I also added 1 fish. Just in case it is a king of the hill situation.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 am

Its definitely a strange one Tom, here's hoping no more die.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Angelfish » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:09 am

I am hoping that one fish worked.. It seems to have been, no new dead fish. :)
Angelfish

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Still not sure what was happening in there but no one else has died yet.
The mopani I removed went into the Veja's tank and they've suffered no ill effects so I doubt it was that.

The fish I moved into that tank was also one of the Veja's and it's doing fine in that tank so I'm thinking if it was something in the water the carbon must have cured that.

I'm still leaning toward it being an aggression issue. Since I added the Veja none of the Angelfish seem to be bickering about who's in charge anymore.
POS_miniracer

Postby Graeme » Mon May 12, 2014 11:33 am

How's your Angels getting along now you two? Have you done anything else to the 55 Gallon Angelfish tank?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue May 13, 2014 12:11 am

Well, it's not the Angelfish tank anymore.
They did stop killing each other or dropping dead but they never really grew out all that much so with only a half a dozen left and the Veja's growing by leaps and bounds I decided to move them back to the 29 gallon.

So it now houses 3 of my 5 Veja's and 3 out of a dozen Chocolate's. Oh and one Spotted Raphael Catfish.

And only 3 of the 7 bristlenose survive. I actually caught them killing each other off.

Now that I think about it, this tank was fairly violent in comparison to some of the tanks I've had with "aggressive" cichlids.
POS_miniracer

Postby Angelfish » Tue May 13, 2014 2:17 am

I am very excited, now that its warming up I am eager to get some live plants in the tank and start building it up to what it should be. ☻ Also I enjoy watching the vejas and chocolates much better then I did with the Angels. Those were just depressing me daily I am happy that they stopped dying off.
Angelfish

Postby Graeme » Tue May 13, 2014 9:00 am

Sounds like it's changed quite a bit. Must be time to get the camera out! :-):

Have you still got the Albino Plecs?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:30 am

Just two of the pleco's survive. I'm also down to just 4 Angel's now.
Since moving them all back into the 29 gallon they started dying off again.
By this point they're back in with the earlier suspected mopani wood so I've removed that altogether and so far so good. So maybe it was the wood after all. Who know's Quite honestly I'm over the Angel's at this point. I'm nearly ready to give the last of them "a bath" and move on to something else or just take it down or sell it. I'm giving them a month and if they make it I'm going to donate them to someone else.
POS_miniracer

Postby POS_miniracer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:42 am

It must have been that wood.
3 weeks and all is well again.
Same 4 Angel's and 2 Pleco's survive. I think it's time to give them away.
POS_miniracer

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals