Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

My 520lt

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: My New 520lt

Postby Graeme » Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 am

I feel a change of mind coming on! The more I think about it the more I think that something as specific as an Aulonocara only tank is something that might be best suited to someone with the luxury of a second, or third tank. (Don't look now but there might be some folk like that round here!)

I'm veering towards a more planted, community type setup. Maybe a couple of Angels to go with the one I have already. A couple of groups of small types and a couple of larger specimens.

Any ideas for something a bit larger than average that would get on with a mixed community?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 pm

What about a kissing gourami. Just go for the one though as when they kiss its actually aggression and one will end up bullying the other and they get a good size. My ones now about 6-7 inches and shares the tank happily with Angels. Although not larger pearl gourami work as well and you could have a pair of them.
I would leave the angels as the largest in the tank other than the kisser, they do get a good size.
Bolivian rams are good tank mates for angels as well.
xray tetra, red phantoms, cherry barbs all make nice shoaling groups. Just don't add neon's or cardinals as they are an angels natural food and will end up being eaten usually.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun May 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks Candise. I'll get off and read up on Gouramis. That sounds like a great plan. I read about Angels eating Tetras . It would seem that Black Neons are less tasty. We've had a Black Neon in with our Angel for a while now!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Graeme » Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 am

The Banded Gourami looks like a lovely fish. I bought a test kit today (yesterday, I'm doing a night shift tonight!) So I'll measure the ph tomorrow (today!)
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Mon May 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Just watch what gourami you go for Graeme some are really mean, for example gold or 3 spot.
I have black neon in with mine and rummy nose are another nice shoaling fish
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 pm

If the going rate for lighting is 2 watts per gallon and I have 110 gallons and my new tank will have 4 x 40 watt tubes, will I need to supplement them with something if I'm going to attempt to grow some plants?
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 am

2 watts per gallon is considered the minimum for a 'hi tech' tank. If you are not interested in growing difficult plants then what you have, in my opinion , is sufficient. If you want to increase the light output a bit try fitting some good reflectors.
Big Den

Postby Graeme » Thu May 15, 2014 10:33 am

Cheers Den

If we're talking UK gallons then I'll be getting 1.4 w/g. I'll see how we get on when it comes and maybe get the tin foil out if I get into some more exotic vegetation!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Graeme » Sun May 18, 2014 4:26 pm

The decorator is coming next week and the tank delivery has been booked for 27th May. :ye: :ye: :ye:
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Mon May 19, 2014 11:46 am

exciting stuff, cant wait to see the new tank
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals