[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - BioLife30
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

BioLife30

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

BioLife30

Postby Harley » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Now had my tank a year. I know some do not like the Bio tanks but I am happy with mine. I set it up as per instructions then went onto forums like this for more detailed info. I left it running with the supplied pump whilst I ordered an inteligent heater. This heater is preset to 76f in my tank, but it also works the pump and lighting. After about a month with nothing but silk plants in I had a sample of water tested. All go for fish. I bought 5 longfin zebra fish and 2 mollies, 1 black mollie & 1 lyretail. These were used as test fish just to be sure everythig was OK. I then bought 2 dwarf gourami. This was my first real problem. One of the gourami was dominant and chased everything in the tank. After loosing the lyretail I replaced the gourami with 1 platyfish. Not long after the other gourami died. I am sure this was because of bullying from the dominant gourami. I now had zebra fish, molly and platyfish. To add a bit of colour I added 5 cardinal tetras. My tank is now 6months old. Got up one morning and the molly was gone. I never found it. The platty had fry (all female) and 7 have survived. I have since lost 1 of the zebra fish and 3 tetras. All showing no symptoms of disease. So I now have 14 healthy fish in the tank. I have my own way of cleaning this tank. Because the opening is limited I use a syphon. I took the nozel from a tube of decorators filler and trimmed it to fit the syphon. I can now push this into the medium on the tank floor and remove most of the waste that does'nt go into the filter. I also have a bucket that holds about 8lt that I fill with tap water and stand in the hot water cupboard untill I need it. This also keeps it at the same tempas the tank water. When cleaning the fish tank I remove 8lt and replace with the clean. The fish seem OK doing it this way.
Harley

Re: BioLife30

Postby malakye » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi Harley and thanks for telling us about your tank. I would love to see pictures of it.
I dont understand why you leave water standing, it does nothing for the water you can add it straight to the tank slowly but make sure you add tap safe or a water conditioner first.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi malakye. It's just something I have always done. Fish seem to do all right. It also keeps the water at the same temperature as that in the fish tank.
Harley

Postby Harley » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:15 pm

UC_Photo_002.jpgMy tank at present. I would like some more color but I will have to wait until the stock levels reduce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harley

Postby malakye » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Its a lovely small tank. What about adding cherry shrimp as they will add some colour without adding to the bioload of the tank. Keep in mind platy get a decent size so you will have to think about moving some on or upgrading.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for that idea. I'm looking into it. Looking out for some at my LFS.
Harley

Postby malakye » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 pm

I hope you find some, most LFS now stock them on a regular basis so you shouldnt be looking too long.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:44 am

Had a couple of problems with white spot since my last post. I only have the one tank and introducing new fish can be a problem. The cardinal tetras seem to be very succeptable. Once I was sure all was OK I bought some red rili shrimp. They are a very interesting addition to my tank and seem to be doing very well. It is amazing how they appear and disappear from view. The fish in the tank don't bother them. I think they are breeding but because I have rock not gravel they can hide so the most I have seen at any one time is 6. I will keep looking though.
Harley

Postby Harley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:53 pm

TMPDOODLE1439905876000.jpgFinally added some "red rili" shrimp. They are settled in and beginning to breed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harley

Postby Graeme » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:16 pm

That's a really nice bright red.

Glad you got your white spot under control.

Sorry for the delay in getting your post up. You have enough posts to not need moderating now so keep them coming!
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Next

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals