Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

BioLife30

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

Re: BioLife30

Postby malakye » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:43 pm

looking good, have you had any success with the shrimp breeding yet?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I never seem to see more than 6-8 at any one time but yes I think they are breeding. I see the males swimming around on a regular basis & females keep getting the yellow saddle. I haven't seen any with the young shrimp yet but they can easily hide. Something is cleaning the ceramic media!
Harley

Postby malakye » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 pm

You will not see the adults with young shrimp, once the eggs hatch the young are independant and the adults take nothing to do with them. Have you seen any of the females carrying eggs?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Yesterday I saw a large female with eggs that had dropped to the underside. First one I have seen. There's been no sign of it today though.
Harley

Postby malakye » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:52 am

they usually carry the eggs for a few days before they hatch. Hopefully she is just hiding. Do you have a lot of plants for the new babies to hide amongst away from fish?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:42 pm

If you look at my last photo you can see the plants that I have added. You can also see the ceramic media- like lava rock at the front of the tank. Because this is not dense like gravel it gives lots of spaces for the shrimp to hide.
Harley

Postby Harley » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:07 pm

I had to stop adding the iron supplement to the tank water. The plants were doing well on it but my shrimp didn't like it. I saw them less & less. I thought I had lost them all. They are starting to show themselves again but I haven't seen any females yet. I'll watch the plants & if they start turning yellow I'll try the iron again but at a reduced dose. It's all trial & error.
Harley

Postby malakye » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Personally I don't like adding any metal based suppliments when there are shrimp in the tank. I only ever added a liquid fertiliser to my planted shrimp tanks.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harley » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:52 pm

I was using a liquid feed. I checked on the website to see if it was safe before I used it because it contained traces of copper. The website said even double doseing would not harm th shrimp. The amount was that small. I'm not sure what else it could be so I am just being careful. I would like to see some females with eggs tho. Then I'll know everything is OK.
Harley

Postby malakye » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:55 pm

I wouldnt use anything at all containing copper no matter how small a dose as copper is deadly to shrimp. I found that out the hard way. Even minute amounts build up and can become toxic so avoid using anything like that at all costs.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals