Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

275 dreams

Post the complete story of setting up your tank, stage by stage from the beginning to the present day.

275 dreams

Postby kazoo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:20 pm

too many fish?
too cluttery ie too many species?
too many fish in the same "air space"?

species suggestions?
i don't like bigger fish - i'm hesitant about any species above 5-7 centimeters.

still just in the "planning/dreaming" stage with this fishtank, so tell me what you think!
kazoo

Re: 275 dreams

Postby malakye » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I cant make out the image attached so it might be better to write your list of fish so we can help you.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kazoo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 am

275 liters (110x50x50cm).
fluval 305 external filter.

5 congo tetrae / emperor tetrae /rainbow tetrae
3 dwarf gourami (honey gourami?)
6 some corydoras subspecies
7 green neon tetrae

(i altered my list after having received feedbak on another forum).

i should also mention that this is "plan B" for this tank - my *real* dreams for this tank include chocolate or licorice gourami, but they're quite delicate/fussy fish, i realise i need to learn more about waterkeeping first.
kazoo

Postby malakye » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Be careful adding 3 dwarf gourami, 2 males will fight so make sure you get 2 females but even then the male can bully them. Congo tetra get to 3 inch and can be a bit on the nippy side so be aware of that. I personally prefer xray tetra to the rainbow tetra.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kazoo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 am

oh, by the time i'm ready (economy-wise) to add fish, i will have changed my stock list MAAANY times, i see!
*lol*

i like species that don't get too big, but maybe small fish will look "ridiculous" in my "huge" tank?
should i (like the - self-proclaimed - pros of my aquaristic society think), take the plunge and go for african cichlids instead?

GAAAH...
so many species of fish.
kazoo

Postby kazoo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:28 am

meanwhile my four guppy babies are doing fantastically in the kindergarten tank.
they're about 1 centimeter in length now and are happily swimming around and eating.

i do daily water changes (about 30% or so) in the small (20 liter) tank, and am feeding the babies crushed fish food flakes.

my fluval 305 filter is now back in working order, and so my "next tank feber" is beginning to get out of control.
kazoo

Postby Graeme » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:15 am

So will it be Gourami or Cichlid???

When I started thinking about stocking my tank I toyed with the idea of Malawi Cichlids but I wanted a planted tank so I dropped the Cichlids for Gouramis.

Have you had any thoughts about how you want the tank to look in addition to the fish?

And welcome to the forum!

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby kazoo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:58 am

i've done some research about african cichlids, and asked about them in fb groups.
seems african cichlids are "messy eaters", and require a lot of food, which equals a lot of tank cleaning.

i'm not sure that's for me, even though there are some pretty beautiful and/or interesting species in that group of fish.

cockatoos or some other southamerican cichlids sound very interesting: small in size, colourful, and active.

as for interior decoration of the tank, i'm thinking heavily planted for the most part, with driftwood and caves.
keeping it clean, because i don't like plastic divers, buddha statues, or any other "out-of-place" things in my tanks...

i'm going to an aquaristics' auction on march 29 - hoping to have a lot of nice looking plants after that one (the "plant department" in my lfs is crap, like most things about that place)!
:)
kazoo

Postby malakye » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 pm

the thing which put me off even dwarf cichlids is they are almost always meaner than a box of rattlesnakes.
I like a nice planted community tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Tank Journals