[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Finally!
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Finally!

Chat about your cichlids here

Finally!

Postby weirdartist » Sun May 20, 2012 11:45 am

So after a lot of convincing, and some very good finds locally, we finally got our big tank exchanged for a huge tank, and an Oscar :jump: :jump: :jump:

500L tank, 2 x canister filters aimed at 600L of filtration, and a lot of cycled media later we have a very happy looking fish. He was a rescue oscar, LFS took him in after a nasty case of hole in the head, he then developed white spot within a day of them receiving him. The poor guy in the fish shop had brought him back to full health and didn't really want to say goodbye :cry: I almost felt mean separating them!

I have a question though, what do you do if the Oscar bites the thermometer in the tank and it shatters? I can't find any glass, and he seems well, and tank levels are looking good. Is there some kind of unbreakable thermometer I can get? I have been using a probe twice a day to check the heater is ok, but it is such a pain in comparison to being able to just look at the tank.

PS I am 19 weeks pregnant now and getting a real bump :-): OH has fully taken over tank cleaning duties, and seems to be quite enjoying it :taunt: maybe he will help out for a while after I need him to, as well!

Terry
weirdartist

Re: Finally!

Postby malakye » Sun May 20, 2012 1:02 pm

get one of those stick on the glass ones, not ideal but they do give you a good idea of the temps without the risks. You probably know but keep a close eye on the nitrate stats to avoid another case of hole in the head.

Well done on your new addition, loads of water changes ahead for the hubby lol.
Glad to hear the bump is coming along well too.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mick » Sun May 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Terry, I agree about the stick-on thermometer. I have had a glass one smashed by an Oscar before !!

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby weirdartist » Sun May 20, 2012 2:45 pm

thanks all :) I'm so happy, I'm sure its the hormones that kicked OH in to gear to sort me out a decent tank and promise to keep it clean, I am not the easiest of people to live with at the best of times XD

Will find one next time I need to buy food... Do they ever stop eating? he must eat like 5 times a day, but still looks slim!

Terry
weirdartist

Postby Mick » Mon May 21, 2012 5:21 am

I can see he is going to be spoilt to death :-): , which strain is he?

Mick

Postby weirdartist » Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 am

The orange on black tiger Oscar, when we first got him he had a few hints of orange on a few scales, and now he has his orange over halfway up his body and it keeps getting brighter :) I put it down to the range of food and his love of both people and TV watching XD he loves prawns, shrimp, blood worm, all the random tropical frozen food I had left in the freezer (mosquito larvae&daphnia mostly) and his hikari cichlid staple&gold... Yes maybe he is a bit spoiled! He has definitely started recognizing us too, my housemate feeds him every morning without fail and the moment she start to get up he comes to the end of the tank and gets all excited, begging for food, even before she has got in to the living room! I get a similarly excited reception, but my OH who makes him sulk by cleaning&gravel vac-ing gets swum away from, hehe, and our son gets some really odd looks, I am sure he is just trying to work out if he is tall enough to reach the top of the tank to drop in food! We called him Zeus because he is clearly in charge!

Honestly I don't think a new puppy could be more entertaining!

Terry
weirdartist

Postby Mick » Mon May 21, 2012 10:36 am

Now you know why they are referred to as "aqua-puppies" :)

Mick

Postby weirdartist » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 pm

So last night Zeus swam in to the side of the tank so hard he knocked himself out! He seems fine today and has his usual greedy appetite, is this unusual? Is there something wrong?

Terry
weirdartist

Postby POS_miniracer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Some of my bigger fish have gotten spooked and rammed the glass pretty hard like that.
It's a good idea to make sure your lids are really secure as they'll often go up and out of the tank too.
POS_miniracer

Postby weirdartist » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 pm

yup, we have carefully checked the lid, he doesn't seem to have been spooked, there was no sudden sound or movement at all, it just has me puzzled. He often taps the lid, but I put that down to begging for food as opposed to being spooked. Nothing like this fish to scare the life out of me!

Terry
weirdartist

Next

Return to Cichlids