[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Discus in a 45 gallon aquarium?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Discus in a 45 gallon aquarium?

Chat about your cichlids here

Re: Discus in a 45 gallon aquarium?

Postby Mick » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:06 am

They will stay as a pair and the chances are they could breed, I had one male who wasn't interested in the breeding tanks but as soon as he was placed back into the display tank he was looking for a mate straight away.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Anita » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:58 am

I wouldn't bother with a plec either. Even the most shyest of plec that hides all day will be out and about at night. This movement around the tank when the discus cannot see what's going on can spook them, causing them to swim hard into the sides of the tank. Remember you have NOT got the largest of tanks there...
Also if a plec is going to have a nibble of mucus it will be at night - you think everything's fine because you don't see it happening in the day. There are signs on the discus flanks that this has been happening ie. lighter patches, but I'm concerned that you would not notice. If you didn't your discus would get stressed and that's when the problems start.
They are lovely, complex and quite expensive fish and you don't want to waste your money :-): they deserve the conditions that suit them. Ideally you should think 'discus' and plan around them. You have said your not keen on corys, I can understand this... but they have been tried and tested companions for years :winkin
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Getthejist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 pm

I guess I could try cories but I wouldn't know where to start with them, my main concern was that they'd mess up the substrate and uproot the plants but if they won't I'll look into getting them. Also would discus eat amano shrimp as they are quite big and discus have quite small mouths for their size. The pair that my LFS was selling was definitely £75 for both but they were selling the non-paired discus for £50 each. Also POS $90 for a pair would only be around £60 here so still not cheap but a good price I'm jealous. Would it be best to go for a different fish then? I would love to have some discus but I wonder if they'll be ok, but they are one of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen. I could contact my other LFS as they have around 20 discus and I'll ask whether they get pairs in that often, but they have breeding cones in the tanks so they might be hoping for some to pair off.
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby Anita » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi no one is trying to put you off getting them, as far as I am concerned discus are beautiful, majestic and the pinnacle of freshwater fishkeeping.
But keeping them is expensive, the water has to be kept warmer, their meds cost an arm and a leg and there's the water changes (and boy there's a lot of them)!
They are a pretty big commitment, I had one discus that lived for over 10 years.
Cory's will not uproot your plants - I had corys in my tank, with plants and a sand substrate, no problems.
The warmer conditions suite Corydora sterbai, these are a good and popular choice.
The shrimp do get eaten, bigger amano shrimp can last a good while though. I kept shrimp with my discus and found they were most at risk when they are shedding - they're soft then and easy pickings. Be sure to put something in the tank that they can hide in/under, like wood or an ornamental log that's hollow so they can seek refuge.
If you want discus then go for it, no one would have put me off when I first kept them... we will help you. Mick's very good, listen to what he has to say and you won't go far wrong ;plo)

Anita
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Getthejist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks, is it possible to see a tank journal of a discus tank? Also I was going to get an R.O unit anyway (Ive read discus need/prefer R.O water) as somewhere along the line I'm gonna get some high grade crystal red shrimp or taiwan bees which also cost an arm and a leg :) Just a question how many times a week do you do water changes and how big are they?
When in doubt get another tank.
I keep water the fish are just for decoration.
Getthejist

Postby POS_miniracer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 am

These are some pics my dad sent me earlier this month. Some of these he had just ordered recently and if I remember right they worked out to about $40 dollars each shipped. They're supposed to be 3 1/2" from top to bottom at their tallest point at that price point (not sure if that's the bodies or fin to fin) and I believe they are captive bred in China. Most of the shops in our area will mark them starting at about $59.99 each depending on the color and usually mark them down a bit when bought in groups. This is the second group he's gotten from this particular supplier and he's had good luck with them so far. I could get the suppliers info. for you if you'd like. I don't know if they'd ship to the UK but I could try to get in touch with the original source and see if they have a supplier in the UK that sells their fish.

RO water isn't absolutely necessary, my dad kept them for years before going with RO.
I know he does several small partial water changes a week but he may be a bit extreme (we tend to be that way) for example he turns his canister filters off when feeding to avoid any food getting sucked in and then siphons/vacs out any possible leftovers. Again, that may not be the norm because like me he tends to be eccentric so I would refer to Mick and Anita's experience.
I do know that their diet can/will quickly foul the water if over fed and uneaten food is left behind.

POS_miniracer

Postby Mick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:03 am

RO is not a must, mains water treated with a good conditioner is fine for tank bred species. I would recommend Seachem Prime, the best that I have ever used-expensive to buy initially but a bottle lasts for months.
Cories will not mess up the substrate in fact they do help to keep it clean and prevent build up of detritus.
As posted above, no-one is trying to talk you out of keeping them, as long as they are cared for properly they can give years of pleasure. There will be times when you may get an unexpected mortality but at the end of the day you could say that about any species of fish.
I used to add Blackwater extract to the water but it does taint the colour to a pale yellow, great for getting the fish in the mood though :thu:
Thanks for the compliment Anita but you know just as much as me about Discus-if not more :-):

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby malakye » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 pm

cories dont rip up plants or mess up the substrate they help clean up as Mick said. I am sure Mick (and possibly Anita too) previously posted they were doing daily water changes of 10% to keep the nitrates right down.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cichlids