[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - What could possibly be wrong with this fish......
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

What could possibly be wrong with this fish......

Chat about your cichlids here

What could possibly be wrong with this fish......

Postby POS_miniracer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:51 am

and why is it still alive?

I was going to add a picture and still may but it's shocking.

I've had this pair of Jack Dempsey's for at least as long as I've been keeping fish.
I think it's been four years.

They've never grown since the day I got them and they're roughly 7 inches tip to tip.
I imagine they were kept well enough since I got them. They've spawned several times, seemed healthy enough and have always been consistent.

I noticed one day that the female wasn't looking quite right. At first I thought she was just displaying spawning colors but then I noticed she was a little thin and she was holding most of her fins close to her body.

As the days went on I swear I watched her get even thinner. So I tried some anti parasitic food that contained praziquantel which seems to be some sort of general purpose de-wormer used for a variety of worms in a variety of animals. She eats like a pig so I figured maybe some kind of worms although I don't know how. They eat nothing live and there hasn't been anything new introduced to that tank for a couple of years.

In any case, that didn't seem to have any effect. She continued to get thinner and thinner and her color has never returned to normal. Meanwhile her mate continues to look 100% normal and healthy.

Now hear's the thing. This has been going on for what must be nearly 6 months now.
There's pretty much nothing left of her. Yet she continues to eat like a pig & swim around as if nothing is wrong.

Any idea's?
POS_miniracer

Re: What could possibly be wrong with this fish......

Postby Big Den » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 am

This could simply be old age or could be fish TB. With both they will still eat as normal. I lost a male to something similar several months ago and I had him for around 6 years.
Big Den

Postby superdart » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 pm

If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Well whatever it is I think it's past due for a dose of clove oil.
I'm just shocked at how long she's survived.
Normally when one of my fish isn't looking or acting quite right it's just a matter of days before the inevitable.
Thanks for th input guys.
POS_miniracer

Postby superdart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Clove oil is the best way at this stage IMHO......
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Return to Cichlids