Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Is there anything angelfish won't eat?

Chat about your cichlids here

Is there anything angelfish won't eat?

Postby POS_miniracer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:11 am

Or rather shouldn't eat?
Or should be eating?

It's been a long time practice of mine to feed a large variety of foods to most of my fish. Most of the new world cichlids I've kept will eat just about anything and my chocolate's are no exception. If I wanted to they could go a week not having eaten the same thing twice. So I'm wondering if I should be treating these angels the same way.

They started on a traditional Tetra flake and have since graduated to the TetraMin tropical crisps as their main diet with Omega One super veggie kelp flake for most snacks. They've also had frozen beef heart about once a week and have had some frozen blood worms. Last week I tried some baby brine but it was a bit too small for them so tonight I ground up some shrimp pellets and they went to town on that. So I'm considering doing the same with the New Life Spectrum and Hikari Gold that my larger fish are used to.

Anything they should be getting that they're not?

Anything I should eliminate?
POS_miniracer

Re: Is there anything angelfish won't eat?

Postby superdart » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Angels love bloodworms,mysis shrimp,chopped earthworms,and a host of other protein rich foods.With the frozen stuff I let it thaw and rince it in a fine meshed net before feeding to get rid of most of the phosphate in it.
If it has fin's and swim's I'm interested in it....
superdart
Donator
Donator

Postby Anita » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:49 pm

One thing they will eat is chopped mussels, they love em'
Last edited by Anita on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 pm

As a staple I always feed them tetra prima, then like the others have said treats of bloodworm and tropical feast (frozen food which contains mysis, veg, bloodworm and a lot of other meaty things)
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby POS_miniracer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:00 pm

So it sounds as if everything in my fish food pantry is safe.

I tend to use some sort of veggie based food after anything meat heavy. A practice I got in the habit of when I kept African cichlids and was always concerned with bloat.

Ant thoughts on dehydrated as opposed to frozen?
My father has started using a lot of dehydrated foods for his Discus especially when it comes to any type of worm.
POS_miniracer

Return to Cichlids