Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Black convict breeding behavior

Chat about your cichlids here

Black convict breeding behavior

Postby Fishman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 pm

I have a 55 gallon tank, previously stocked with black convicts, jack Dempsey's, a red devil, and some other random South African and american cichlids and a Pleco. For some reason, the ecosystem got off, and all of my fish died except for one large male black convict.

I did a complete tank overhaul four days ago, new everything. I got two female black convicts, three jack Dempsey's(not sure of gender yet) and a pleco to accompany my male cichlid. Risky, I know he's full grown, so I got the biggest ones I could find at the local pet store. He very quickly took to the largest of the female convicts, and they have laid eggs (found them this morning). He has experience breeding, he has fathered many batches, this is obviously her first time.

I'm by no means an expert with convicts, but I have seen this process quite a bit so I'm decently familiar... Usually, the female watches the eggs closely, and the male covers perimeter, or the other way around (but it's a team effort). I'm concerned at this point, the male is guarding the eggs, but the weird part to me, he is chasing the female away from the eggs as well as any of the other fish that comes near, but she is also trying to guard the area when he lets her near enough, or if she notices any other fish going that way, she chases them off, and then he chases her out of the area.

He isn't eating the eggs, and I haven't seen her attempt to eat them. He will literally chase her to the other side of the tank, leaving the eggs exposed. What is the reason for his behavior?
Fishman

Re: Black convict breeding behavior

Postby Graeme » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 am

That does sound weird. Does he pay any attention to the other female or does he stay with the eggs when he's not chasing their Mum away?

Welcome to the forum Fishman.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Re: Black convict breeding behavior

Postby malakye » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I am not too sure what is going on, it sounds like the male is taking parenting a bit too far, hopefully once he settles down with the female things will calm. I am sure big Den or Tom will be able to advise you further as they have cichlids.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Cichlids