Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Female Betta's

Chat about your gouramis and labyrinth fish here

Female Betta's

Postby Bedbug » Sat May 02, 2015 5:17 am

I have several questions. But will start with an explanation. I want a colorful tank, I have 2 tanks One with serpae and the other black widows.
I see how active they are And I need 5+ of each so no more room.
I was think (usually gets me in trouble) to have a colorful tank go with female beta's.

1. I see internet fish store list. "quart+ female. Are they saying a quart of water per fish?

2. Are they anywhere near as active as the serpae or black widows that I have?

3. Have read they become egg bound if not mated?

The black widows are bickering a lot in the 10 gal. tank. probably will get a 26 gal.(15 x 24 x 24 inches tall) tank for them and maybe an angel, and pepper Cory's. Also someone posted a picture of powder blue Gourami's. Move the serpae from the 7 to the 10 gal. tank. Then restock the 7 gal.

What wrong with this situation?
Bedbug

Re: Female Betta's

Postby malakye » Sat May 02, 2015 10:03 pm

They actually need more water than the stores will lead you to believe, they always give the smallest amount in the hope of convincing people to buy them. You would have to be careful that the serpae and widows did not nip at the bettas. I have kept sorrority groups of females for years without ever having any issues with them becoming egg bound. What about adding the serpae and and widows in together in the 26 gallon and then you could add a trio of female betta to the smaller tank with some smaller community fish and corydora. I wouldnt add two different labyrinth fish intogether, they dont usually do well (betta and gourami)
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bedbug » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 am

I am surprised that the widows are fin nippers, I that only to the betas? They (widows) are listed as good tank mates for angels. Are dwarf gourami and angels compatible?

Is it a stretch to put a pair of dwarf gourami in a 10 gal tank with a few curies?
Bedbug

Postby malakye » Mon May 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Widows are reknown fin nippers and no its not just with bettas.
I have kept dwarf gourami with angels, I however had a 4ft tank.
Cory and dwarf gourami could work fine in a 10 gallon if you keep an eye on the stats.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Gourami and Labyrinth Fish