Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Fish lying on the bottom of the tank.

Need some help or advice quickly.

Fish lying on the bottom of the tank.

Postby Rich » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi

We have a tank in our office with four goldfish in it, we have had them probably around six months, we did a complete water change and clean of the filter a couple of weeks back and one of the fish seems to lie on the bottom of the tank allot and always in the same area of the tank. It does swim around occasionally and will come up to get food whenever they are fed and sometimes with the other fish (like they are chasing each other).

We are all a little worried about poor Bob and would appreciate any advice.

Our tank is 12"x12"x24", We have an Elite Stingray 10 filer.
Rich

Re: Fish lying on the bottom of the tank.

Postby Big Den » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Rich, now when you say you cleaned the filter, did you clean it under the tap? If so you have killed off all the friendly bacteria that feeds on the fish waste. It will now take a few weeks for the filter to 're-cycle' and start doing its job. Tough little critters, goldfish, but they can still suffer with ammonia poisoning. With 'Bob' lying on the bottom can be several things, most commonly it can be a build up of fluid in the body cavity (can be caused by ammonia poisoning) that restricts the swim bladder, making it difficult to inflate fully. It could be constipated which also effects the swim bladder, can you see whether or not it is pooing normally? What you could try is a mild salt treatment, 2 tablespoons to your tank, diluted first and added gradually, this can be diluted out of the tank when you do the weekly 20% water change. Good luck and keep us informed of his progress.
Big Den

Postby Rich » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi

Yea I did clean it under the tap, how should I have cleaned the filter?

Would ammonia not affect the other three fish? I'll try and see if he is pooing much.

Thanks

Rich
Rich

Postby malakye » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.
The filter should only ever be cleaned with old tank water in order to save the bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy. Ammonia can and does affect different fish differently, its like us with the cold/flu, some get hit harder than others.
You should never have to do a full tank change, if you do around a 25% change weekly there is no need to do a full change and the filter should only ever be cleaned when the flow drops and use old tank water.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:06 am

My college got some fish medicine (Gold, disease safe) but that doesn't seem to have done a lot. We are worried now as it seems like the other fish are chasing him around a lot.
Rich

Postby Rich » Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 am

After a long time of just laying on the bottom Bob is now swimming about just like he used to, finger crossed he looks like he is all better. :-):
Rich

Postby POS_miniracer » Tue May 13, 2014 12:13 am

That's good news. It's not very often they bounce back.
POS_miniracer

Postby malakye » Tue May 13, 2014 4:13 pm

You were really lucky, its not often they pull back from that.
Never do a full tank clean out, just gravel vac and do a 25% water change weekly and only clean the filter when it slows down using a bucket or bowl of old tank water so that you save the good bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Fri May 30, 2014 8:51 am

Well it seems Bob should really be Roberta after she laid a couple of eggs.

We are now wondering if the issue was one of the other fish, we have four fish and the biggest one, Paul, seems to be bullying Bob (I'm sticking with it). Paul pinned Bob under this log thing we have and keeps pinning her in the corner of the tank, Bob went back to staying on the bottom of the tank. We have separated Paul from the rest and and Bob seems fine. Of course this could the way fishies...erm you know, we have no idea.
Rich

Postby malakye » Sat May 31, 2014 12:51 pm

It could well be a case of bullying, some goldfish can be real sods for that.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies