Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Cloudy tank, dead fish - advice needed please!

Need some help or advice quickly.

Cloudy tank, dead fish - advice needed please!

Postby sazzapoo » Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Help needed please!!

Been experiencing a cloudy tank for around 2 months now. Since being cloudy we have been doing a 4-6 week water change of 60% (as advised by the aquatic shop). We use a filter boost and tap safe solutions for all water changes.

This evening I realised I really need some expert help! We've had a fish that's been unwell for the past week - lying near the bottom, gulping frantically and then this evening s/he died :-( The water is really murky now and I don't know where we are going wrong - and I'm not sure if the cloudiness is killing the fish.

How long the tank has been running for:
2 years

Size of your tank and which fish are in there:
65 litres (Aqua One Aquastart 500)
5 goldfish (was 6)
3 danios
2 minnows

Results of any water tests that you have performed:
Nitrate: 25
Nitrite: 0
Carbon hardness: 0-3
pH: 6.4
Chlorine: 0
Temperature: 22 degrees centigrade

The filtration system you are using:
Aqua One filter
No live plants (these make the cloudiness worse)

Any medications that have been used in the tank:
None

We don't have an issue with algae, although we have had several plecs and snails and unfortunately these have all died (again - no idea why).

Hope someone can help. Thank you for looking!
sazzapoo

Re: Cloudy tank, dead fish - advice needed please!

Postby Graeme » Sun May 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Hello Sazzapoo and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an algae bloom but you wouldn't expect that on a mature tank with good stats. Has it happened before? Have you changed the lighting or tank's position?

I would change your routine to 25-30% every week.

Regards

Graeme
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby Anita » Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Hello :bye:
I think you are changing too much water, this is not allowing good bacteria to build up in the tank.
One change of 25% weekly is enough (do an extra one if another fish dies as soon as you remove it), rinse filter pad in old tank water.
Cut down on feeding to every other day, remove any dead fish immediately.
The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. It could have been caused by several things for example a dead fish that was not spotted right away, uneaten fish food, or you have done it accidentally by over cleaning your filter and removing large amounts of water the same day.
I can't stress enough not to have uneaten fish food in the tank atm. The tank will re-establish itself. If you are able get an old/dirty filter pad from someone and shove it in your fiter alongside yours for a few weeks.
A carbon filter pad may help with the cloudiness of the water. Hope it helps and keep us posted :-):
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Anita » Mon May 12, 2014 12:07 am

It can happen anytime Graeme, I over cleaned once and knocked my filter out with a tank full of discus. Lost half of them :cry: I was gutted. It wasn't as if I didn't know what I was doing I kept discus for about 14 years, I just didn't think at the time.
The water took weeks to clear. It takes you right back to where your filter is not coping with the toxic waste.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Anita has said it all but like Graeme said you should be doing weekly water changes of about 25%.
Do you have a test kit to check your water? If not try to get one, (liquid not strips, the API one is one of the best) then let us know what your readings are as that will help more.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sazzapoo » Mon May 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Hello!

Thank you all for your replies - much appreciated. I have test strips, and have posted the results above. Is that sufficient?

I feed my fish about 1 - 2 times a week, with very little, so I don't think there is any food hanging around my tank for longer than it should be.

Also - I'm pretty aware of my fish and if any of them do die (sob sob!) they are removed immediately.

Thank you again, I'll start doing a 25% weekly change and see if that helps.
sazzapoo

Postby POS_miniracer » Mon May 12, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the strips. I prefer a good liquid test kit. They seem to be much more accurate.

That's a fairly high nitrate reading and one of the symptoms of high nitrate is what looks like gulping for air so that would explain that one fish.

As for the cloudiness, that could be a number of things. Am I reading your original post correctly in that you were only doing water changes every 4-6 weeks?
If that's the case then that could be the problem. As previously mentioned you want to do partial water changes weekly and on average of about 20% depending on the fish you keep and who's advice you're getting. Goldfish are fairly high waste producers and they require a fair bit of up keep especially when housed in smaller tanks.

Not sure what you have for substrate but you want to be sure to do a gravel vac when you do your water changes. Some people choose to only vac half the substrate each week alternating halves because some benificial bacteria also lives in the substrate.
POS_miniracer

Return to Emergencies