Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Fish going black

Need some help or advice quickly.

Fish going black

Postby chdukes » Thu May 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi

I have a yellow goldfish. In the last few weeks he has been going black. All his buddies are fine just him with an issue. Ammonia levels fine, do regular water changes as there are 5 of them in the 64 litre tank. I do plan a tank upgrade at some point as I am aware its not tehnically big enough for them all.

He has big black marks in his back, fins and sides. Seems to be eating as much as the others but has been at bottom of the tank off and on for a couple of days or hiding near filters assumed maybe resting but not sure.

I have asked for advice from PAH store they said try fin rot and fungus medicine not helped if anything makes the water murky, also tried stress coat plus with aloe vera but not helped either.

After 6 months im attached to the little guy and want to try and help him.

Also have 2 filters in tank so theres about 135ish litres of filtration going on...double size of tank but keeps water good.
chdukes

Re: Fish going black

Postby Big Den » Thu May 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi and welcome. Goldfish start their lives coloured dark olive green, almost black. They then change progressively to the orange we know them for. As they get older, for some reason, some start changing colour. I'm not sure why but I remember reading somewhere that the water chemistry has something to do with it, not sure about that because I have about 100 goldfish in my pond that range in size from 4" up to 9". Some are full orange, some are pink, some are a mixture of the 2 and I also have a few that are still 'black' even at around 6". Your fish may simply be going through a change of colour, but if it spends a lot of time lying on the bottom there may be a problem, but finrot and fungus are very obvious diseases. PAH have a very bad reputation for offering the wrong advice so don't pay any attention to them. See if you can upload a picture it will make diagnosis a lot easier.
Big Den

Postby chdukes » Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi thanks for reply. I did got to PAH on the off chance they said melafix teaspoon and a half a day and to remove carbon from my filters as neutralises medicines (if thats true) might explain why other meds i have tried have never worked.

He is more active with his back fin finally more raised than it has been in a while and have also tried them on a few peas a couple of times though still black.

Not sure how to add a pic as not registered.

What is your opinion on adding the carbon back at the end of the 7 days?

I think all my fish seem more active without or maybe its the melafix?

Thanks
chdukes

Postby Big Den » Tue May 20, 2014 6:32 pm

I don't use carbon, trouble is it only last's for 4-6 weeks after which time it gets saturated and leeches toxins back into the tank, I would forget to change it so would run into problems. You could post a picture in Photobucket and add a link if that's easier.
Big Den

Postby chdukes » Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks think i wont put them back in.

Managed to get a picture of the little guy http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... 084339.jpg

Hope that link works!
chdukes

Postby Big Den » Wed May 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Yes that looks like it's changing colour, they can do it several times during their lifetime.
Big Den

Postby chdukes » Wed May 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for that as thats reassuring to hear so after thurs i will stop the melafix as his belly is no longer red but going to do the full 7 days.

Glad to know the little guy should be ok

Thank you
chdukes

Return to Emergencies