Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

dying fish

Need some help or advice quickly.

dying fish

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi I've had my 25L cold water tank stable for around 3 years. Went away for a week, and my son didn't refresh water as he was asked, and came back to 2 dead fish. The tank is filtered and has a light, plus an bubble air strip in the bottom. I removed the dead fish, replenished 20% of the water and left it for about a week. I've added 2 small gold fish and after a day in the tank they don't look happy at all. Fins flat, sleepy looking, but they are feeding! Help, any suggestions?
kazza

Re: dying fish

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Have you tested the water to see if the parameters are off?
POS_miniracer

Postby Graeme » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:37 am

Could he have changed too much water or spilt some food in the tank and caused an ammonia spike? Was the water cloudy when you got home? I would do another 25%-30% now and test for ammonia.
Graeme
Donator
Donator

Postby malakye » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:06 am

25litres is too small for goldfish but the issue will be you had dead fish which will have caused an ammonia spike, you need to change another 25% water asap or you could loose the little guys, then do another in a day or two. With it being such a small tank one missed water change throws everything in the air and when things go bad in a small tank they go bad quickly. Do you know how long the fish had been dead for?
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies