Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Sick fish new tank syndrome

Need some help or advice quickly.

Sick fish new tank syndrome

Postby Abneyandteal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Hello.. And help..
Moved house in feb and having had 2 fancy goldfish decided to buy them a bigger tank too. Have had nothing but probs since.. Ran old snd new filters in tandem as advised and fish looked miserable.. Sitting on the bottom of the tank.. Water ph fine and new tank bacteria added but nitrite and ammonia levels rise rapidly after water chsnges... Have tried using all mineral water etc and lots of other things suggested. They belong to my 3 yr old and getting desperate. Weird thing is they seem happiest when ammonia is high. Then this week larger fish has developed red spots ( googled and found sceptacemia prob due to high amonia) really don't know what to do? So much conflicting advice on the internet...
Abneyandteal

Re: Sick fish new tank syndrome

Postby malakye » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:01 pm

hi and welcome.

first moving the goldfish into a larger tank would have been better for them but something has gone wrong.
When you moved them over into the larger tank how did you acclimatise them? Did you use any of the old tank water?
Stop adding chemicals into the tank until we discover what is actually going on.

You said the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are fine but what are the actual readings?
What kind of test kit are you using? Strips are notoriously bad for giving false readings.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Emergencies