[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Having a nightmare
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Having a nightmare

Need some help or advice quickly.

Having a nightmare

Postby antbphoto1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:54 pm

before I start I want to confirm that yes I am an idiot but have realised this now (my wife has been telling me for years) and so I want/need to make amends

My son wanted a fish for christmas and I had an old tank and set it up with a new filter (Aquamanta IFX 50) and let the tank settle for a few days and was told with what I believed was a 20 litre tank, 4 platies would be best. I took them home, introduced and everything was fine other than one was sitting near the top. Believing this may be a suggestion of ammonia I went to get a test kit to review and then resolve if needed. When I got there I looked at the tanks and realised I have a 12l tank which is not really big enough. This is the idiot bit, in hindsight it did feel small and should have known as I know how much a litre is.

I have now purchased a 25L tank (I may upgrade in a few months but this with new gravel and testers was just under £100 which bearing in mind I have already spent out just after christmas was the biggest I could get). I have set this up and realising the filter I had already purchased was miles too big for the 12L tank, I have taken this out and put in the new one and put the new one that came with the tank in the 12L (although have had to turn off as the output is out of one tube and created something of a current, I can hopefully resolve with a sponge).

The test levels are okay in the 12L tank, but the big (emergency) question is, do I wait the 3 days to transfer the fish across to the new tank and keep them in the smaller one for 3 days or transfer them across once the levels show close to normal based on the fact that the filter in the new one is cycling at a max 200l an hour and so will be cycling the water quite efficiently.
antbphoto1

Re: Having a nightmare

Postby malakye » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:50 pm

waiting 3 days will do nothing, a tank takes about 6 weeks to cycle by adding ammonia, plain water simply cant cycle a tank sorry to say. If your moving the fish over into it you are doing a fish in cycle so you will have to do water changes of about 20% every 3 days for a fair few weeks but keep testing the ammonia and nitrite levels because if they start to rise you need to do more to keep them at 0. It does take a while but once the tank has fully cycled then you can cut back to weekly water changes.
Just take your time when introducing the fish to the other tank to acclimatise them to the new set up because they will be different to what the stats are in the small tank.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anita » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:36 pm

If the old filter has gone into the new tank I'd move the fish over straight away along with any gravel, ornaments etc that you had in the smaller tank. All these contain some good bacteria. Do not change any of the filter media for a couple of weeks. As malakye said keep changing water and testing. Your filter needs to catch up with current stocking, please do not add any more fish for now either.
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Chillywilly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:37 pm

Chillywilly

Return to Emergencies