Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Help save Goldie

Need some help or advice quickly.

Help save Goldie

Postby fluffy9999 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:26 pm

So.. I have rescued this goldfish from the fun fair (well somehow my daughter ended up with it! Firstly we got a small bowl for it. After 2 days it looked miserable and was swimming wonky. We took it to out local aquatic place and they said it was poor watter quality. So... we now have got it a much bigger tank with proper filter etc. Unfortunately I didn't realise you shouldn't put a fish straight in new tank but I put her in after about an hour of filling. She seemed as happy as Larry for a day or 2... the yesterday she seemed lathargic and was in the floor quite still. Today however.. she's back to swimming around lots (we've had her just over a week now... been in new tank 4 days now)...but I did notice she looked like she was twitching her face.. only noticed it twice. Should I be worried? still? Even though she seems more lively today than she was.. I did give her a defrosted pea with case take off yesterday as I read somewhere it was good for them if they were constipated. I think reading these forums etc has made me paranoid that I've done things all wrong. Should I buy some testing strips? Is it that new tank syndrome thing? Also am I being cruel by having just the 1 goldfish? (I did use some a anti chlorine stuff for the water).
fluffy9999

Re: Help save Goldie

Postby malakye » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:43 pm

hi, as its a new tank and goldfish are messy fish I suspect you have an ammonia spike, do a water change of about 30% and keep doing them every couple of days for a few weeks until the filter can cope with the bioload.
Dont buy test strips they are notoriously wrong buy a liquid test kit instead, the api master kit is the best (in my opinion) and will last you a long time.
You are not being cruel only having one, until the filter catches up and your tank cycles you are better to keep to just the one. When cleaning your filter only ever use tank water to clean the sponges etc or you kill off a lot of the good bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy.
I am sorry you think forums have made you paranoid, hopefully we can help alleviate some of your fears and worries.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fluffy9999 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll try that tomorrow. She (or he as the case could be?) seems not too bad at the moment still. Do you still advise doing frequent 30% water changes anyway? I shall have a look out for the water testing kit. I never realised keeping a goldfish would be so complicated but I'm determined to do my best by 'Goldie'... (we did try with goldfish previously about 5 years ago but they didn't last long unfortunately which makes me even more determined this time).
fluffy9999

Postby malakye » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Goldfish are massive waste producers, sadly a lot are kept in tanks that are just way too small and they soon pollute the tank and water. A lot dont realise they need a filter in the tank to help keep the water healthy.
Yes keep on top of the water changes for a couple of weeks until the filter can produce enough friendly bacteria to cope with the ammonia and nitrites goldie produces.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fluffy9999 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Well Goldie made it for a while longer but has just sadly died... I kept on top of the water changes... but the last few days she / he just went down hill and s/he got lethargic again and was sitting at the bottom with the fins down. Any idea's on what it would have been??. I put a little aquarium salt in earlier (advised by fish shop) in the hope of perking him up... and the water was tested and all came out fine.
Also... Now... I am stuck with a tank that I actually like... how's the best way to get going again before getting new fish? Do I need to change all the water completely? before running the tank?? how do I do a fishless cycle? Also any recommendations on what fish to get? I have a 25 litre tank and as I understand goldfish can grow too big for this size... Is there any cold water fish that I could get that don't grow as big (that's presuming they survive :-( ) I'd ideally like to get at least 2 fish if possible.
fluffy9999

Postby malakye » Fri May 06, 2016 4:25 pm

I am not a fan of aquarium salt for freshwater fish, there is some fish it actually burns. Its a chemical and quite an out dated way of treating the tank.
Keep the filter running, do a 50% water change then in a couple of days do a 25% and you should be ok, leave the tank running empty for a couple of weeks, just drop a couple of flakes in near the filter as they will produce waste to keep the bacteria going in there.
As for fish, you are right 25ltr is too small for goldfish but what about a group of 4 white cloud mountain minnows. They are cold water fish and if you add some real plants you may be lucky enough to get some youngsters from them.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alfa » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 am

@ malakye: Interesting thing about the test strips :wtf: . I didn’t know that liquid test kits are more accurate. Thanks for the advice
Alfa

Postby Alfa » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi fluffy9999,
I am so sad to hear Goldie died. What about the Neon tetra? This are fish are not getting too big. You can have a little group of ten Neon fish. They like to live in communities. Your water temperature should also suit them. But probably your water will be too hard for them so you need to soften it. I recommend you test your water conditions.
Alfa

Return to Emergencies