[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Overfeeding your fish?
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Overfeeding your fish?

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Overfeeding your fish?

Postby vinboy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Very good post
As a mbuna keeper i have to keep my feed down alot maybe 5 feeds weekly is more than enough plus
they feed of the alge build up.
All aquariums apart from grow on tanks should have a day weekly without food it does the fish wonders and makes
them very lifely :-):
vinboy

Postby mucklelass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 pm

This article was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Anita!
mucklelass
Donator
Donator

Postby cashwellspent » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:12 am

I think all fish keepers have been guilty at least once, I push my limits on occasions, I have very healthy happy fish.
Common sense 'IS' not common
cashwellspent

Postby WookAchook » Sat May 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi Anita,
New member today, yours was the first thread I have read, and found every word of it relevant to one mistake or another I have made over the last 5 years. Massive thank you, and I think I will be putting my babies on a diet...... starting...... NOW!!!! Lol. xx
WookAchook

Postby Anita » Sat May 07, 2011 5:55 pm

That's good news :-):
Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Nifty1pound50 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Very informative post brilliant for the newcomers such as myself. Thank you.
Nifty1pound50

Postby Tukje » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I'd like to add something to this.
I've studied the behavior of fish while feeding.
Every sort has their own needs, though if you "regular" tropic fish, feeding 3 or 4 times a week is more than enough. Best thing is to variate a lot by using food from the freezer once a week, regular food twice a week and living food as a snack once every 2 weeks.
Rules such as 2 or 5 minutes of feeding time are nonsense, the best thing is to observe your fish very closely and make sure they all eat (also the ones at the bottom). For instance, when I feed dwarf cichlids it would take them about 2~3 times the amount of time to eat the same amound of food as a guppy.

Concerning living and food from the freezer, you dont need to give this to guppy's, platy's or other "easy" fish. Though if you feed it to other fish such as chiclids, gourami's and such, it will stimulate their natural behavior. This results into nicer colours, more healthy and active fish and especially more fry!

Always keep in mind it is (almost) impossible to famine your fish, so in this case, less is better!

Though!!!!
Keep in mind that this information is not for all fish! Goldfish (like) fish need to eat more often and with less food each time. It isn’t the same for every fish, though what I wrote is for the most common, smaller tropic fish.
Tukje

Postby CEREDIGION123 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Ah! the old over-feeding myth:"If I feed my fish less, I don't need to clean the tank so often"

So where exactly are these over-fed wild fish then?

It is very hard to over feed....I overfeed according to internet standards, but I clean the crap out everyday....consequence....I have large (normal) sized fish....of course the genetically challenged in-bred show fish will suffer from over-feeding; but this is why we don't find them in the wild

Deliberately under-feeding in order to maintain water quality is cruel
CEREDIGION123

Postby Anita » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Marley Image Be young, be foolish, but be happy...The Tams-1965 Image
Anita
Donator
Donator

Postby Big Den » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:31 pm

I totally agree with you Anita. Wild fish eat all day in their natural state but the food is 'on tap' fresh, not prepared food like what we feed them. The left over food can get sucked into the filter and decompose in there, so it's pointless saying "I overfeed according to internet standards, but I clean the crap out everyday" unless you clean the filter every day.
Big Den

Previous

Return to Beginners