[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Useful items to save those $$$$;
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Useful items to save those $$$$;

If you are new to the hobby.

Useful items to save those $$$$;

Postby rosst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 pm

I have decided to start a thread which lists all useful household items and foods that fish like from our fridge etc.......any additions would be most welcome from all the years of experience joined together, I'm sure we could help each other save some cash, or re-use previously discarded items;

Useful Foodstuffs; rather than throwing away unused Veg, why not give the greens a wash under tap and pop in Tank for the Fish???...........Cucumber, Peas, Corgette (Zuccini), Lettuce, Spinach, are all liked by Catfish, Plecs and most Cichlids and livebearers also go for it.; Swordtails particularly like some green matter in their diet.

> Prawns are also often used, along with bits of Meat (small pieces of Corned beef, steak, bacon etc.. have been used to feed Oscar fish and other medium-large Cichlids.)

> Earthworms are free; dig up some Earthworms from your garden and wash them thoroughly, then chop into managable pieces to give the fish a tasty, nutritious and free treat.

Womens Tights;; these can be used to create a Peat 'pillow' or ball in order to lower the PH in your tank; just put the required amount of peat in, tie a knot and cut off any excess if necessary......then place under the Gravel/sand, or place in the filter Media. A lot cheaper than buying a water softener pillow - 'Shamrock Peat' is good to use.

Fruitery Boxes;; Often, the use of Polystyrene boxes is great to transport fish on longer journeys and they also keep the fish in a dark, steady & insulated environment.......they charge a fortune on e-bay, so if your LFS is not willing to donate any, then ask your local Grocer/Fruiter to keep the boxes which Broccoli is delivered in. They are the perfect size for to fit 1 or 2 normal sized bags of fish in.
(These same Boxes are ideal if you are starting a Worm Culture to put the compost/peat and worms + their food in)

Coconut shells; these are ideal for a small Cichlid to rest and spawn in....you could cover with Java moss if you want.
Last edited by rosst on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosst

Re: Useful items to save those $$$$;

Postby Mick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Good post, I have my thinking head on now

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby rosst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Dividers;
If you can't find a local, cheap supplier of Dividers to fit your specific sized Tank, then maybe use a Condensation tray....(usually available in lots of sizes).....just cut to fit the height and depth, then pierce small holes (1-2mm) in to allow the water to pass through - but not the Fish. - I paid 3.00pounds for a C-Tray, which would have cost 12.00 for a divider of that size in shops / online.
(You can usually get at least 2 dividers out of 1 large Condensation tray, unless your Tank is really huge!?)

Golden Sand;...........an alternative to gravel is Sand....this looks very nice and is favoured by Cories, loaches and Discus ..........why not save some cash, by getting some 'Kids Playsand' from shops which supply it. (UK - A certain shop that when you pay > then you go to another counter where the item appears from behind a magic wall) SOGRA.
...It is already clean usually, but still soak in hot water overnight just to be sure. - It actually looks better than a lot of Aquatic Shops sand.

P.s; My 'Pounds' Sign Key does not work, so that is why I'm using the $ or 'Pounds'.......

..............I'm sure there are plenty more Money-saving tips to add, I think I've ran out for now............ :laz:
Last edited by rosst on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
rosst

Postby malakye » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Good post Ross.
Only thing I can think off for now is save money by buying kids play sand (argos is usually cheapest) rather than sand from the LFS. It does the same job and is a fraction of the price. Which you have already mentioned.
Another is slate, buy it from a builders yard or garden centre, you get it cheaper than from the LFS.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rosst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 pm

....Good one on the Slate - some fishkeepers I know of, get Smooth rocks and bits of slate from the Beach, but I'm not wiling to take the risk (they do wash them in boiled water overnight and perform the vinegar test on them first)

Ha. I was busy typing my second post, when you must have started on the Sand tip. I tried not to name the Shop directly, but I suppose everyone benefits! (apart from greedy LFS's)...... It's a very reasonable 2.99pounds, per 5kg bag of golden sand, the last time I looked.
Last edited by rosst on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rosst

Postby malakye » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 pm

I named them, its not as if they are fish based forum, I too have bought the good old play sand from there so know its a good buy.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby frankieboy0147 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Just bought a bag of the play sand to put into my tank at the weekend. £2.99. It was five times that much at a pet store I went into
frankieboy0147

Postby Mick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:00 pm

make your own filters from plant pots and gravel, ideal for the smaller tanks and cost pence.

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby Big Den » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Plastic pot scourers make terrific filter media, as do the stainless steel ones, easy to wash out as well.
Big Den

Postby malakye » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Plastic seed trays can be used as larger but lower caves, fasten slate and moss to the top using thread through the drainage holes. They look good and are a fraction of the cost.
malakye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beginners