[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4738: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4740: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4741: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4742: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Useful items to save those $$$$;
Close

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

FAQ Login

AquaRank.com
The Fish Tank Forum is no longer allowing posting of any kind or new members to register.
All visitors can still join the group discussion which has been moved to Facebook.
Fish Tank Forum will be remaining here for reference purposes only.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took part in the forum over the years and I hope to see you all on our Facebook group.

Useful items to save those $$$$;

If you are new to the hobby.

Re: Useful items to save those $$$$;

Postby DominicJ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 am

Beware false economy

Getting your water checked "free" at a local LFS is probably a false economy.
You can get 130 ammonia test for £10 at P@H, probably less elsewhere.
7.7p a test.
How much does it cost to get to the shop that will do your test?
Mines a good 4 miles each way, I get about 10 miles from a litre of petrol in my car, so 90p, plus the hassle of driving there.
DominicJ

Postby Mick » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 am

Very good point :thu:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!!!

Follow us on facebook-Fishtankforum Ftf or twitter-fishtankforum!!
Mick

Postby POS_miniracer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Not to mention that when buying fish your water will almost always test fine but the same water will show poor results when trying to return a fish under warranty. In other words usually the knuckleheads at most shops either don't have a clue or just tell you what you need to hear.
POS_miniracer

Postby DominicJ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:18 am

Insulating your tank.
After a rather shocking electricity bill (3x the last pre fish/snake one) I've been "insulating" my tank. It has two fleece throws over it all the time (£2 each from Tesco) and If I remember I throw a snuggie over it at bed time as well.
Obviously its hard to judge exactly how much electricity its saving, but it is 4-8 degress above heater point when I go to bed, just from being next to a radiator.

I was considering plumbing it into my central heating system, but thats probably quite insane.
DominicJ

Postby xbeckieboox » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:53 pm

I live in a flat and I save the 3ltr juice botles for doing water changes/gravel vacs.I used to use a bucket but it usually sloshed over the side..plus the bottles have handles so easy to carry.
My lid of my juwel tank has slot of algae growing on it and I used to scrape it off and throw it away.Now i scrape a chunk off (its quite thick above the lights) and put it in my shrimp tank.They love it, i no longer buy algae tablets.
xbeckieboox

Postby Mick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Good tip about the algae, that should save some money for others :thu:

Mick

Postby mr pops » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Excellent post very helpful many thanks
mr pops

Postby weirdartist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

I thought I would mention freecycle, if you search for freecycle in your area/surrounding areas, you can often find people desperate to get rid of old tanks before they move, or people who have thousands of baby guppes! You will often need to collect items, but if you are saving the cost of a tank/fish, it usually works out much better. Its very much chance what you find, and you have to be quick to phone/email the giver, but sometimes things are in a very reasonable condition. One of my best (non-fishy) finds was an inversion table that would have cost around 300 new.

Terry
weirdartist

Postby Mick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

Here's another tip to save the pennies and I cam across it by accident. Due to the fact that I have to leave the lighting on for longer than I would llike to promote algal growth on the rocks, it also causes a problem with algal growth on the tank glass. I have been keeping up with this by scrubbing and it takes time. Was looking at the steel bladed scrapers availalble for aquariums but they do not come cheap, anyway was sorting through my decorating gear today and came across my old plastic window scraper, cost me pennies so my brain kicked in (it does sometimes :-): ), tried it on the back glass very carefully to make sure it wouldn't scratch and hey ho it worked a treat, I cleared all of the algae from the tank in less than 15 mins ( it had built up since the holiday), without a scratch in sight.
Added bonus was as fast as the algae was dropping from the glass, the fish were eating it so free food for the fish :-):

Checked out the prices at Homebase, new ones are still only just over a pound and stanley blades are not expensive, just one word of warning, as with all bladed scrapers be very careful near the seals on the aquarium!!

Mick

Postby weirdartist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:23 pm

cheap fish from a reliable source - If you have a very good lfs, they will often take in sick fish and heal them all up, if said fish end up with scarring or are much older than when they are usually sold, they will often be given to you for significantly less money than they were 'new'. Just ensure they are disease free and have been quarantined (might be worth quarantining them yourself as well if you are putting them in a community tank).

Terry
weirdartist

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners